But, it's Monday- time for my usual Independence Days update- and what a busy week it's been!
1. Plant something- tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos and eggplant into the garden. Herbs, medicinals and beneficial insect flowers into their own bed. And the Goth Garden phase 1 installed! I'm waiting until next week to plant a few other things in the garden- I just needed to get little plants in the ground.
2. Harvest something- the first little radishes!! Mmm, tasty.
3. Preserve something- ummm, sanity only this week.
4. Waste not- took extra seedlings to the plant sale, used old newspapers for sheet mulching the goth garden, the usual 3R's.
5. Want not- Received my mini-greenhouse for Mother's Day! At 6x8 feet it isn't huge but I'm anticipating greens well into cold weather here. Other than that, I haven't had much time to be stocking up or storing.
6. Build community food systems- extra seedlings from the plant sale are going to the community food garden at the crisis center. I also encouraged a few people (and a few children) to plant vegetable plants while working at the plant sale. I tried to talk up the ease and benefits of growing your own food.
7. Eat the food- Mmmm.... homemade chili and cornbread with home canned tomatoes, beans, local grass fed beef and home ground cornmeal. Yum.