Thursday, March 8, 2012

It just figures...

Chickens- sometimes they drive me crazy!!

The chickens had managed to scratch a lot of the nesting material out of the 'favorite' nest box. I had been meaning to put some new in but just hadn't gotten around to it.  But yesterday, I discovered a broken (and mostly eaten) egg in that box, I'm thinking that it got stepped on/knocked into one of the bars in the milk crate that I'm using for the box and cracked.  So, of course, I put in a bunch of new wood shavings in that one and some in the other box that they frequent (that was also getting kind of low).  The third box they rarely use so it is pretty pristine.
Fast forward to this afternoon...  I'm home from work, still wearing the skirt I had worn to work today, and head out to toss them some scratch before dark and to gather eggs.  In the middle nest box (not the favorite) there are three eggs.  Are there any eggs in the box by the back wall- the favorite?  Of course not!  Those silly girls had scratched out a little depression in the floor bedding UNDER the nest box- waaaaay in the corner and there were three eggs in there.  So there I am, trying desperately to not drag my work skirt into the rather nasty bedding (ok, it's not that bad but it IS a chicken coop) trying to reach into underneath to get eggs. I'm sure it was probably quite funny to behold.  I do hope this isn't a new pattern for them.  They have never laid under there before.  And, of course- not just one hen did it- but THREE!  It just figures.  They must not have appreciated my attempt at giving them extra nesting material.
And, as it never fails, they needed water...  Why is it that they always seem to need water when a) it's raining, snowing or otherwise nasty weather, b) I'm wearing decent clothes or c) I'm wearing good shoes.
Yes, I sometimes wear my work shoes out to the coop to collect eggs- at least I don't wear heels to work!!
Maybe this will teach me to change my clothes and shoes before I head out to the coop... or not.

8 comments:

  1. I went out to feed mine and wore good shoes and town clothes, not the ratty things I wear to the chicken pen. When I got there, they were terrified because their play ladder had fallen over from the wind and knocked their Rubbermaid boxes and the table over. I managed to get everything straight without messing me up. Well, the shoes did not fare too well.

    Sometimes, when I am going to just close their pen at night or or put in food, I wear good clothes, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always seems like so much trouble to change to just run out to collect eggs or to close the coop that I don't usually bother. It's a good thing that I don't really "dress up" to go to work but I do really like that skirt I was wearing.
      Judy

      Delete
  2. I bet the chickens are laughing at you LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they were shooting video and were watching it later, laughing their little heads off!! It's a conspiracy!
      J

      Delete
  3. Well, they're not called bird brains for nuthin'! ;o]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now you can just imagine what all their cackling was about....lol...debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo... yes! I knew they were making fun of me!!

      Delete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.