Friday, August 31, 2012

Once in a blue moon...

... it may rain.  Of course, on the night of the blue moon (the last until 2015) it is cloudy as the remnants of Hurricane Isaac makes its way toward us.  Oh well, at least I saw a bit of the moon on the western horizon this morning as I was doing chicken chores before heading off to work.
It's a quiet evening here. I15 is off at a football game (the first of the year), V is downstairs in his office and K12 is on the computer in his room writing a story.  I am feeling better, thanks for all your concerns.  I really think that all I needed was a good night's sleep.  I did get my tomatoes canned last night.  6 and a half quarts of tomato sauce.  Not too shabby.  I really do need to reorganize the pantry and the shelves in the canning room to make room.  I picked a few more tomatoes so I'm probably going to be canning again over the weekend.  And I've got TONS of peppers out there that I need to do something with- but I'm waiting until a few more turn red to process them.
And I have to share my find from last night:
Vulture Capitalism has nothing on Vulture Tomato!!

But, it's a Friday and time for a quick Independence Days Update.  So here goes:
Plant something- nothing
Harvest something- broccoli, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, zucchini, eggs, basil.  I keep meaning to go check out the elderberries but it just hasn't happened.
Preserve something- froze 11 packages of broccoli, canned tomatoes
Waste not- The usual: composted, recycled and scraps to chickens.
Want not- hmm, nothing I can think of.  Although I suppose I could use my research for needles for the treadle machine in here.  We're hoping to go to Old Threshers this weekend (depending on the remnants of Isaac) and it occurred to me that I may be able to find something there as well.  I mean, where better to ask about treadle sewing machines than in a place dedicated to steam power and all things old.
Eat the food- quiche- yum!  some great tomato sauces, and tonight, tortellini with pesto.
Build community food systems-  Not a thing.
Skill up-- only sewing machine research.  I found a great online book on cleaning and maintenance of treadle machines.

That's about it.  I'm guessing that I15 will be calling soon for a ride home.  Oops- here he is now.

5 comments:

  1. Hope you get/got rain! We may get our portion of Isaac on Tuesday. What a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoot! Meant to add that I LOVE that tomato!

      Delete
    2. The rain hasn't arrived. It is all swirling about 30 miles south of us so we'll see if it makes it this far. He's not too impressive anymore.
      I haven't had the heart to cut into Vulture Tomato yet. It really does look like it needs to be sitting on top of something, waiting... just waiting.....

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear you're feeling better. There's nothing that slows down EVERYTHING around home more than Mom being out of sorts. (Ha! Mentally OR physically!) Sounds as if your household is fast settling into the school year routine.

    We are becoming very dry again up here. But only a "slight chance of thunderstorms" all next week from Monday on. That's not too encouraging for zapping the forest fire danger (which is high again) or helping the fall crops in the garden. I may be out there with hose in the garden tonight.

    I think you need to keep Vulture Tomato on guard in your kitchen for a while. He looks basically friendly to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're on the mend.
    Freaky scary Vulture Tomato indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.