Sunday, August 25, 2013

A ghost of a sauce

I think maybe I'm going to try Sundays as a regular blogging day.  Of course, we'll see how long that lasts, LOL!
Today I'm cooking with fire at home.  Ghostly fire!  Naga Jolokia or Ghost Chili fire,  that is.  This spring, my friend Roger gave me a seedling pepper plant.  A ghost chili.  I'll admit, I'm a little frightened by it.  These are the second hottest peppers in the world, topped only by the Trinidad Scorpion (also to be found growing in Roger's garden!), so they are nothing to take lightly.
Today, I'm canning tomato sauce.  We do like it spicy here so a few weeks ago, I made some enchilada sauce and tossed in a small ghost chili.  Yowza!  So, today, I'm making ghost sauce for other purposes. In with about 8 quarts of sauce I've got onion and two and a half peppers.  I've got one hungarian wax 'Volcano', one Bulgarian Carrot and half of a ghost chili.  Whew!  Spicy!!! but incredibly tasty.  All these peppers have the bonus of not only being incredibly hot but also flavorful.  And 2.5 peppers is plenty.  This sauce will go well over pasta in the cold winter months.
I've got a few things crossed off my list so far on my vacation and a few still to go.  I still need to get in and weed and prep the greenhouse for planting.  Of course, this has to be the hottest weather we've had all summer so working in the greenhouse will have to be done early- probably tomorrow morning after I get the boys off to school. I also want to make some reusable bags.  I saw these at the farmer's market and want to make some myself:  The woman dubbed "the cookie lady" long, long ago by Justine was also selling tote bags made from feed sacks.  I've got quite a stack of chicken feed sacks- those lovely, sturdy, rip-stop affairs- and I thought they may make fun holiday gifts for family members.  I brought in a couple of sacks so maybe tonight after dinner?  Maybe.  We'll see.

Anyway...  I'll leave you with a few photos of my walkabout yesterday afternoon.

 The bees are loving the touch-me-nots. And it is a good year for these flowers.  They seem to have taken over along the creek for a stretch.
 The groundnuts are blooming.  This is the first year I've noticed the blooms.  I've spotted the vines and we noticed the little tubers washing out of the stream bank after a flood this spring.  Nice to know that we have another wild edible around.
 Not wild.  But I do love my scarlet runner beans.
 One of the squash that came up volunteer by the chicken run.  There are three large acorn squash on the vine.  Awesome!
And the cherry roma tomatoes are doing well.  In fact... I think I need to go pick them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.