Sunday, September 7, 2014

Trying something new

Since my tomatoes are kind of a bust this year, I think I'm probably done with canning. 
I had enough that I had to do something but not enough to fire up the canner.  So I'm trying something new: tomato cubes!

I made a really thick sauce - almost, but not quite paste - and loaded it into old ice cube trays.  Now, when a recipe calls for a tablespoon of tomato paste or I just need a little to liven things up, I don't need to open a whole jar.  We'll see how it works out.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great idea. You'll have to let us know how it worked. The only drawback I'd really see is maybe they'd get freezerburnt before you got to use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of that. I guess if they start looking too icy I'll just dump them all into a sauce to use then.

      Delete
  2. Could you put them in a vacuum sealed bag in the freezer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrific idea! I think I may just copy you - my problem is an overabundance of tomatoes! Those cubes would be a great pick-me-up for stews, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.