Wednesday, November 10, 2010

600 posts and an outrage

I noticed that this is post #600. Amazing. Thanks to all of you who have been along for the ride. It's been fun and I'm looking forward to another 600 or so.
And now for something completely different (Thanks Monty Python!)
Thanks to Kim at The Inadvertent Farmer for tipping me off to this one. It is just now making the news.
Just in time for the holiday season, Amazon.com has lost my business. They are, citing freedom of speech, refusing to stop sales of "The Pedophile's Guide to Love and Pleasure"- a book that is essentially a how-to guide for child molestation. They have received hundreds, if not thousands, of messages and emails of protest but are still holding firm. I for one, will take my business somewhere with a better sense of social responsibility. I urge you to also use your dollars wisely when you shop. Kim said it so much more eloquently in her post. I urge you to go read it.
*************
UPDATE: The book is no longer on the Amazon site. Hopefully that means that the public outcry worked. The furor this caused was very bad publicity for them- and just at a time of year when they probably do a LOT of business.

7 comments:

  1. Oh that is just sick. WOW...all for greed....maybe if enough people will not shop through Amazon and it hurts them in the pocket book they will change their minds...I will pass it on...Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too, I'm glad I read her post yesterday before doing any Christmas shopping! Unbelievable. I just saw this story on the Today Show a few minutes ago also, so I am sure many more will boycott them.

    Congrats on #600!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw on GMA this morning that Amozon is discontinuing selling the book....voices were heard..Amaozon said they heard to many complaints and that people weren't going to buy through them anymore...so they stopped the sell of the book...Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to see they pulled that book. I understand free speech and all , but this was WRONG!!!!!!

    And SHAME SHAME on whoever published that trash!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My God! I heard about that on the news today and was just furious! What is the matter with people. Is money so important to them that it's worth our children being kidnapped, raped and killed??!! So glad to read your update. That did get me all in a dither!!!!!! ...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you blogged about this too. I missed Kim's rant. It's sick and disgusting. I'm glad that people are standing up and demanding better from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.