Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I did it myself!

Today after work, while V worked to finish framing the windows on the coop, I built the roost. All by myself.
Now, that may not seem like a big deal.  But, I often feel totally incompetent in construction beside V's expertise.  So to build something all by myself, from deconstructing the counter crates, planning, measuring, using the radial arm saw and building it felt really good.
This is a freestanding- well, leaning, roost.  It will lean up against the wall in the coop and it's easily moveable when it's clean out time.
And, no, I didn't leave it over the office door in the shop....
But V finished the framing on the walls.  Tomorrow afternoon we will put up the rafters and hopefully get a roof on soon.  We're under a time crunch (what's new!) Thursday is kind of a bust since I13 has his final band concert of the year that evening.  Friday, J17 is in a play at school and it's supposed to start raining again for the weekend (and I work Saturday).  I'm going to see if I can take a few hours of vacation time tomorrow afternoon- if it is reasonably calm at work- so we can have a few more hours to work before it gets dark.
Here's the last (south) wall.  This wall will have two windows and the chicken door.
It's coming along.  None too soon.  The big girls are about 7 weeks old now and are SO ready to move into bigger quarters.  They are all too excited to get out of the kennel and 'free range' around the bathroom when I'm feeding and watering them.
We still need to get supplies (mainly fencing and roof panels) for the run but the girls can go into the big coop even without outside access right away.
Now, I'm tired. Work and then working at home is getting to me.  Work hasn't been too bad but I had a student start with me this week and that is always exhausting because everything seems to take twice as long because I have to explain it all.  But she seems like she'll be a great student.  Good thing, since she'll be with me until mid August.

5 comments:

  1. woohoo! the roost looks great! i'm sure your girls will love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! The girls will be happy when they get in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a good feeling. Good for you! Learning to do things like that for myself is certainly on my to do list for this year. I'm going to start with some frames for raised beds in my suburban yard. Hope the neighbors don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed! Great job!
    We are in our first year of gardening and we are so excited. We bought 11 acres when my husband went on total disability. I was raised on a farm but this is my husbands first try and it is looking good. We are struggling to get started on a fixed income but are using what we have now.
    Chickens are something we sure do want.
    I so love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on doing it yourself, doesn't it feel good to accomplish something on your own? The chickens are going to love it.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.