Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Omnivore's 100

Quite a while ago Very Good Taste  offered up the Omnivore's 100:  100 things to try in your life as an omnivore.  Hmmm....I'm a pretty well rounded, adventurous eater.  I know this isn't new but here's how I stack up.

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.

2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.

3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.

4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at verygoodtaste linking to your results.


The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:
1. Venison (have an uncle who is an avid bow hunter)

2. Nettle tea

3. Huevos rancheros

4. Steak tartare

5. Crocodile

6. Black pudding

7. Cheese fondue

8. Carp

9. Borscht

10. Baba ghanoush

11. Calamari (even the children have all had this one-  K8 even requested it for his birthday a few years ago)

12. Pho

13. PB&J sandwich

14. Aloo gobi

15. Hot dog from a street cart (I've done them from the ball park, does that count?  I generally don't do hot dogs- not since I learned what the allowable percentage of insect parts and rodent hair is... My allowable percentage is 0)

16. Epoisses

17. Black truffle

18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes (apple, cherry, rhubarb, blackberry, even tomato!)

19. Steamed pork buns

20. Pistachio ice cream

21. Heirloom tomatoes (DUH!!)

22. Fresh wild berries

23. Foie gras

24. Rice and beans

25. Brawn,or head cheese

26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper (I've grown them and like hot peppers but never had the guts to try one raw...maybe next summer.  V says it's like drinking an entire 6-pack at the same time)

27. Dulce de leche

28. Oysters

29. Baklava

30. Bagna cauda

31. Wasabi peas

32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl (I've had clam chowder and I've had soup in sourdough bowls but not together)

33. Salted lassi

34. Sauerkraut

35. Root beer float

36. Cognac with a fat cigar (cigars make me barf!!!)

37. Clotted cream tea

38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O

39. Gumbo

40. Oxtail

41. Curried goat (roast but not curried)

42. Whole insects (at least not on purpose.  I know I've swallowed bugs, especially gnats while gardening)

43. Phaal

44. Goat’s milk

45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more

46. Fugu

47. Chicken tikka masala

48. Eel

49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut

50. Sea urchin

51. Prickly pear

52. Umeboshi

53. Abalone

54. Paneer

55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal (Yeah, confession time)

56. Spaetzle

57. Dirty gin martini (don't like gin but I've had vodka martinis)

58. Beer above 8% ABV

59. Poutine (french fries, cheese curds and gravy?  Why?)

60. Carob chips

61. S’mores

62. Sweetbreads

63. Kaolin

64. Currywurst

65. Durian (it does stink to high heaven but it actually tastes pretty good)

66. Frogs’ legs

67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake

68. Haggis

69. Fried plantain

70. Chitterlings, or andouillette

71. Gazpacho

72. Caviar and blini

73. Louche absinthe

74. Gjetost, or brunost

75. Roadkill (hmm, if I hit a deer and was able to dress it out on the spot I'd do it but I'm not sure I'd eat anything not fresh)

76. Baijiu

77. Hostess Fruit Pie

78. Snail (too much like slugs for my taste but I've never been offered them prepared well)

79. Lapsang souchong (during my Mom's adventurous tea days)

80. Bellini

81. Tom yum

82. Eggs Benedict

83. Pocky (the children got something similar from their Tae Kwon Do master but not sure)

84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.

85. Kobe beef

86. Hare  (does rabbit count???)

87. Goulash

88. Flowers

89. Horse

90. Criollo chocolate

91. Spam

92. Soft shell crab

93. Rose harissa

94. Catfish

95. Mole poblano

96. Bagel and lox

97. Lobster Thermidor

98. Polenta

99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee

100. Snake

If I counted right I think I'm at 55 of 100.  Not too bad for a girl from the midwest.  I need to work on my Mid-eastern and asian foods.  I had the good fortune of having some quite adventurous eating during a trip to the Philippines in my younger days.    I don't think there is anything I would say I would absolutely refuse to try.  Things I wouldn't line up for but I would try if given the opportunity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.