Today is my usual day to post on the independence days challenge. I'm actually on time this week. So here goes:
1. Plant something- No. But did get my seed orders in for the year. I still have a few things to pick up locally but not much.
2. Harvest something- YES!! We had lovely salads last night with some lettuce from the planter box in the basement.
3. Preserve something- No
4. Store something- Got unbleached flour to restock. Made waffles for the freezer for the week for breakfasts.
5. Manage reserves- We're working our way through a banana squash from my Mom. Used little end bits of chocolate chip packages to make chocolate chip waffles. Used some of the last of the tomato sauce from the freezer.
6. Cook something new- Used our dutch oven (actually a camp oven) to make pot roast and veggies for dinner- YUM
7. Prep something- No
8. Reduce waste- Recycled, reused, composted and used cloth bags at the grocery as usual. V salvaged a wooden drying rack out of a dumpster.
9. Learn a new skill- No- didn't get out the knitting at all this week. Did re-read the manual for my ice cream maker that V's Mom got me for Christmas (it's an attachment for my KitchenAid mixer) since we hope to make sherbet soon.
10. Work on community food security- Talked to another co-worker who asked me if we really got a side of beef after reading V's article in the paper.
11. Regenerate what is lost- was supportive to neighbor's family at funeral services for her last night. I've been contemplating if I want to try to organize a neighborhood get together this spring.
12. Behavior change- procrastinating: I actually placed my seed orders this week and finally got around to cleaning and organizing my cookbook shelf. Next project- the bathroom cabinet. Maybe when I'm off Tuesday for I11's oral surgery.
I really do need to settle down with a calendar and set planting dates for seedlings. I talked to Roger about bringing over the pick up in the spring to move compost to the garden. It's another busy week and I'm scheduled to work on Saturday. Oh, Boy!!