Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Seed orders

Whew!  They're finally in!  orders to the Vermont Bean Seed Company and Totally Tomatoes as well as a few things from The Cook's Garden.  Most of the things ordered are heirloom varieties. I'll have to post a complete list of what's going into the garden later but tonight I ordered 3 heirloom tomatoes (Amish paste, Amana orange, and Polish Linguisa), peppers (Anaheim, paprika and Jalapeno), peas (shell- I already have some sugar snap), beans (3 colors of snap- green, purple and yellow, Christmas Limas, Scarlet runners), Bloody Butcher corn, broccoli, eggplant, beets and a blend of beets (golden, red and chioggia).  Roger has already ordered Brandywine tomatoes (several colors), black tomatoes- I can't remember which one, cabbage and lots of other things.  We are also planning to plant potatoes this year.  Fingerlings and All Blue.  Maybe by planting blue potatoes I can get K8 to eat them.  We'll see.  It's an ambitious year- lets hope our plans aren't bigger than our abilities!

5 comments:

  1. Blue and purple potatoes just make me smile, along with their counterparts in carrots. How deep/much area do you need for potatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think of how yummy it will be to walk out to the garden and pick your dinner. Sounds just perfect to me!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Localzone- I'm not sure how much room we will need for them. We have only grown potatoes one other time and then not many- even though we had a good harvest from them. I still need to do some research before they arrive. But I do love the fun colors of veggies. We have been growing multi-colored carrots as well for years- I love the ones that are purple on the outside and orange on the inside.
    Kris- I can't wait till spring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really enjoying reading you blog! I ordered seeds last weekend. It bring a little bit of spring into your house even if it is just for a few hours.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.