Saturday, February 25, 2012

Amazing!

Sometimes, life astounds you.  Not my life, I mean LIFE!  I planted seeds yesterday after lunch.  And today, I already have seedlings up.
First up (cotyledons fully up) Michihli Cabbage (a chinese cabbage) from Baker Creek.  Followed closely by Copenhagen Market from Seed Savers Exchange.   The Copenhagen Market seeds are even from last year.  We got them from my brother last fall.  He had received them at some luncheon or other and they don't really garden so, they were bequeathed to us.
I'm still amazed that less than 36 hours after planting I've got anything up.  Wow!  But I'll tell you, it is a fabulous feeling to see those tiny little green growing things.  It gives me hope.

I'm trying something new tonight.  Well, not totally new to me, but not something I've done for a long time.  I'm making yogurt.  The children all adore yogurt and will totally devour it if I bring any home.  So, I decided to make some myself and see if I get the same reaction.  Hopefully they still like it.  I know that homemade yogurt isn't always like what you get in the neat little packages in the store.  But we'll see.  It should be fun.

My parents are coming tomorrow for lunch and will then be going with us to a concert.  J17's last Preucil School of Music concert.  This is the one where they have ALL the students of all levels perform.  They start with the oldest, most experienced students on the stage, playing the hardest music. Then song by song, they add more students to the stage, with the pieces getting progressively easier.  They finally end with the youngest ones (the Twinklers) arriving on stage and everyone together plays Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star- the first song they ever learn.  It is usually a lovely concert.  Long but lovely.  Since J17 is a senior this year, this is her last one.

More another time...

18 comments:

  1. I think you've been given a sign of a very good gardening year to come!

    Hubby prefers kefir to yogurt so that's all I've been making for a while but now you've got me thinking about making some yogurt again. I've got lots of berries from last season in the freezer so putting some in yogurt would be a good way of using them. Gee, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it's a good sign for a very good year. The way food prices have been going we'll need the garden.
      We also made some 'clean out the pantry' granola bars to go with the yogurt. Mmm..

      Delete
  2. I totally know what you mean about the seeds sprouting. I just LOVE the magic of it all... sort of reminds me of my belief that nothing is ever really created or destroyed, things just change form.

    I was really in to making yogurt for a while, but I just got too lazy. The thing is, I have to drive across town to get to the store that has the regularly pasteurized milk as opposed to the ultra-pasteurized variety (which I could never make work.) Then there's all the scalding and watching the thermometer. I'd culture mine in jars in an old plastic cooler filled with warm water... but inevitably I'd forget and then sometime in the middle of the night wake up in a start and go running down the hall to save the yogurt before it curdled beyond repair. It sure tastes good though, especially since I always used whole milk... yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to make yogurt all the time. Then I had children and it became a hassle- one more thing to try to do. Now that they're older and all LOVE yogurt. maybe it's time. I made mine in the crock pot- which seemed to work just great.

      Delete
  3. Yayyy for your little seedlings :)

    My son loved yogurt when he was little don't think he eats it anymore though. I have never had homemade. I hope your family loves it. :)

    What a great concert it will be. Enjoy

    Take care, Janet W

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some seedlings that are anxious for spring! Just like us I suppose :)

    I haven't made yogurt in a while either. Must put that on the To Do list.

    Enjoy the concert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of today- 48 hours in- I've got something up in every variety I planted- except for the chard. Hmm..

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a very sweet concert. I know you will enjoy it.
    My kids love homemade yogurt to the point where store bought tastes alien to them now. I always made it, my mom always made it and so on....
    What people seem to have a hard time with is thickness ....home made doesn't use gelatin but you could strain it a few minutes to get a more " Greek" style going....kids respond better to that initially. I've converted plenty of non family kids in this way:) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, mine turned out pretty good. I have been buying a locally made yogurt which is much more the texture of homemade. And I read somewhere that if you culture it with greek yogurt (which I did) that it ends up thicker. Can't vouch for that though.

      Delete
  6. What fun to go to your kids concerts. I can just imagine the Twinklers playing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. How cute. I've had homemade yogurt once and thought it was pretty good. Hope your family lunch was fun and yummy! We had our family together lunch yesterday...debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine 200+ children from 5 through 18 all on stage playing Twinkle at once- They even do it in harmony.

      Delete
  7. Go for you with the yogurt! The store bough sweetened stuff has the same grams of sugar as a soda, ew. So much for selling healthy calcium!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eww- I never knew that about the grams of sugar.

      Delete
  8. Awesome! I too had stuff up right away, 12 hours after planting I had Mesclun popping up and 24 hours it was Basil... watch winter come now and I'll have 4 ft tall basil plants waiting to go outside :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you- I'm worried that now that I planted my early stuff earlier than usual (due to weather) that now it will suddenly get cold. Of course- it was 50 today.

      Delete
  9. Judy, so sorry this is off subject but THANK YOU for alerting me to my stolen content...whoever stole my blog posts and pics did so all the way back to at least the beginning of 2010...I am SO UPSET. I had to work a 12 hour day today so haven't had much time to follow up on it. THANK YOU again for alerting me...and now I have no idea what to do other than notify Google, which I've done. UGH :(

    Robbyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robbyn- no problem on the off topic. I hope you can get this sorted out quickly. What an awful mess. My fear is that he is a spammer looking to use your content as a cover up. I suggest filing a DMCA takedown request with Blogger. i'll vouch for you although I don't think it will be needed.
      Good luck! I can't imagine how I would feel if someone stole my entire blog. Well, maybe I can. I'd be pi$$ed!!
      Judy

      Delete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.