Monday, September 3, 2012

Tigger Melon- a review

I planted Tigger Melons this year.  They are of Armenian origin.  They look absolutely, fabulously fun so I decided to try them.
 When ripe, they turn a brilliant orange with yellow stripes.  Today, I harvested 2/3 of our crop.    I had poor germination, as with many things this year.  Of my second planting I got one surviving plant.  On that plant. I had three little melons.  The vine is dying so I picked the two that were orange.  The one above had already slipped off the vine, the one below hadn't yet but the vine was nearly dead.
 They are just palm sized- about the size of a softball.  And the fragrance is heavenly.
However, they have a large seed cavity for their size, not leaving much fruit when the seeds are scraped out.  Sadly, for all the fabulous fragrance, it is pretty bland tasting, and it has a slightly mealy mouthfeel, not at all crisp- of course, it may have been a bit over-ripe. I'm hoping that the next one may be a bit crisper.  I've still got one out there on a slightly alive vine.
I know that this year wasn't a fair trial, with the drought, so I'll probably try these again next year.  I'm not sure they're worth the space but I'll give them another trial.

8 comments:

  1. These look really good. I have never heard of this kind..Do you eat them? since you said they were pretty bland I suppose one has to spice it up.
    Glad that you were able to get to O.T. in Mt. Pleasant..IT was a nice day and not too muddy.
    Have a great day~ ta ta from Iowa....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely edible. I'll admit, I was drawn by the color and the single serving size. And a single melon will perfume a room, but the taste is a bit disappointing.
      And OT was fun, we go most every year. It was much nicer down there before the sun came out and it wasn't quite so hot. Glad you had fun as well.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. They are definitely cute! And they smell dreamy.

      Delete
  3. Gosh they are beautiful though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really hoping that next year they will turn out a but better. I know that this wasn't a fair trial year but if they are this disappointing again they're off the list. I just don't have enough room for a tasteless vining fruit no matter how cute they are.

      Delete
  4. Isn't it fun to try new things? I'd never heard of them. They would make nice autumnal decorations around the house if they didn't rot. If they rotted, not so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they would keep very well since they are kind of like a tiny honeydew. But they would look really sharp in a display!

      Delete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.