Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Dark days

I really, really detest this time of year.  Oh, not because of the holidays but because the days are so short.  With working outside the home, the sun is just coming up when I leave for work and setting when I return. I miss an entire day of light.
I feel bad because I'm having to rely on V and the boys to care for the chickens- It's never light for me to check for eggs or feed/water them.  I went out with a flashlight to water the greenhouse this evening. BLAH!
I have been sure to take my Vitamin D every day.  I never bother during the summer months because I am outside so much.  In fact, my MD had my vitamin D level checked last year and was surprised that it was actually fine.  So few people are able to have a good level naturally these days. But, I do take a supplement in the winter.  I find that I have much more energy and focus when I do.  And it's good for your mood as well.
Not much else going on.  I've got a bit of hand sewing to finish this evening and maybe I'll cut out something new.  We'll see.  I'm rather impatiently waiting until Saturday when Justine comes home.  I haven't seen her since August.  That's a LONG time to miss my baby girl.  Oh, we 'chat' on facebook or text on a regular basis but nothing like being able to hug her.
I just can't seem to get into the holiday spirit this year.  No decorations have been put up yet (we're waiting to do the tree until Justine gets home) and I haven't done any holiday baking either.  The weather finally decided to get cold- for a few days- but is now back into the 40's during the day and we haven't seen any snow at all.  Who knows, with climate change, maybe we'll have a non-winter like last year. We'll see.

9 comments:

  1. Winter is hard, we used to live in Oregon so not only was it dark but grey and rainy. Talk about depressing. Much happier now but then again it took forever to get here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the sun shines sometimes. I don't think I'd do well with grey and rainy all the time.

      Delete
  2. You're not the only one who's impatient for Saturday. I'm one of the last few stuck in the dorms. I sat in the bathroom doing dishes and singing along to Chameleon Circuit and watching Good Neighbors because I'm the only one left in my suite. I think I'm going to be one of the last on my floor. I think i'm going a little stir crazy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry sweetie, Next time we'll try to get you out sooner. Of course, probably most people there are able to have someone pick them up quickly and don't have to fly.

      Delete
  3. You must be so excited for Justine to arrive, that will brighten your days for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness for Vitamin D! I take it starting in October - I agree with you. Leaving when it's just light, then coming home in the dark stinks. Unfortunately for me AND the chickens, I have to gather the eggs in the dark - much carrying on in the nesting boxes, as three hens all cram into each one at night. I actually can't wait until the Winter Solstice so the days will start getting longer! Have a wonderful time with Justine! The Christmas Spirit will sneak up on you... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do pretty much the same thing with Vitamin D- I only take it during the winter months to keep me going. I am totally with you on waiting for the solstice. Having the days get even a little longer again will help.

      Delete
  5. I take 2,000 ius of vit. d daily, really keeps me from getting upper resp. infections, flu. Keeps your immune system healthy, and it's a natural anti-depressant! Good for your bones/teeth too...

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.