Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sultry Sunday

And not the seductive type of sultry!  Actually, today wasn't as bad as we had been lead to believe.  It was cloudy for most of the morning and we even had a few sprinkles.  Of course, the line of showers that was on its way on the radar dissipated about 10 miles out from our house.  sigh... we're still dry, dry, dry and HOT!  I think we finally hit 97 this afternoon.  At least it wasn't the 102 that had been forecast.
It was a busy day here. We did the drive-by church drop off since I15 had to acolyte. I got up early and headed out to weed in the garden while it was still cool. I'm trying to get a spot prepared for my fall crops.  The spot available is the space where early stuff had been and has now been taken over by weeds.  They pulled amazingly well considering how dry it is.  Justine got up and helped me for a bit and we got quite a bit done before it got too hot to work.
Then, we ran off to the farmer's market and grocery store.   We picked up a HUGE cantelope and some sweet corn from the market and got peaches at the store (along with a few other things).  Then this afternoon became a busy time of making things.
First, it was necessary to make some laundry detergent since I had used the last of what we had.  I'm definitely getting faster and better at it.  3 gallons of detergent in half an hour for probably about a dollar cost.  Not too shabby!
Then, I worked on some of the peaches.  They aren't as ripe as the ones we got to eat so I had to be selective.  The rest will ripen some more before I use them.  But this afternoon I made some spiced peach jam.  YUM!  I15 wasn't too excited about it (He's not a huge cinnamon fan) but everyone else thought it was 'da bomb'!  I hope to make some plain peach jam when the peaches ripen a bit more.
After jammin' - it was family frolic in the pool then a late dinner.  I'm back to work tomorrow- a 6 day stint.  It will probably be a rough week since one of my co-workers is on vacation all week.  But, I can't complain too much, I've got some vacation time coming up soon.
V and I also met our new neighbor this afternoon.  The 41 acre lot to our West and South were sold earlier this year.  This afternoon, we noticed that someone was mowing brush across the fenceline to the west.  So V and I wandered over that way.  We met Dave- the new owner.  It seems that he has a full time job but wants to farm evenings/weekends so they bought the land.  We're just fine with that.  At least he doesn't want to develop it.  We have been worried about a housing development going up over there.
Family things have been a bit stressful recently.  One sister's home was burglarized recently but she at least has gotten her wedding ring and a few other things back- the police found them in a pawn shop.  My other sister was rear-ended last week and totaled her car.  Fortunately she is OK.   I'm really hoping that this isn't a trend of bad luck for the family.  I can't handle much more stress.
I thought I'd end with a few drought photos.  I wish I had taken my camera along today when Justine and I were out.  I'll have to get some photos of the local corn fields.
 This is our lawn!
 Complete with cracks in the soil.  This one is a good inch across in some place.
 At least the weeds in the driveway aren't a problem this year.
 The neighbor's hay field to the North.   He has had only one cutting so far this year.  Unless we get more rain that may be all he gets.
 The pollinator garden is struggling.  Even the coneflowers are curled up.  This space is usually lush and green.  Not this year.  I have watered it on occasion but not as much as it needs.
But, just so you don't think everything is doom and gloom.  A few positive photos.

Eggplant!
 Ripening tomatoes.
 And green peppers.  This is the first year in a long time that I've had green peppers.  I plant them but usually they have huge plants but very few peppers.  This year, they are doing great.  The Anaheims are the ones that have big plants but no peppers.

And, lastly, a potato of questionable origin...
How odd!

14 comments:

  1. Happy Sunday, Judy!

    Really dry down here too...but I've been religously watering the garden and it's hanging in there..but all the water in the world can't protect leaves from that 105 degree sun.


    Take care...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really dry lots of places so I"m not alone. Sadly, that doesn't make it any easier. I've been trying to not water too much but it is necessary if I'm going to get anything out of it.

      Delete
  2. I'd say that potato is of prehistoric history. we recently actually had a good spell.Dan sold his older model racing mustang (did not git what he wanted,oh well) my daughter won a years worth of "Gain"laundry soap but whose; years worth,they say they are sending 10- 50 oz-we go through at least 100-150 oz a week cus Becca washes her clothes here too but just maybe things are looking up for us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad things are looking up for you. At least some laundry detergent is better than none.

      Delete
  3. I'm starting to think the heat, humidity and lack of rain are a big part of the stress everyone seems to be feeling. All of us are pinning such hopes on our garden produce to help with the coming (monumental) rise in food costs . . . and the gardens just aren't doing what they should be doing.

    Hope this week takes a turn for the better for your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about the stress. I know many, many people, both online and in real life who are stressing about the lack of rain and what it means for the future.

      Delete
  4. Sorry about your ornamentals, but your tomatoes and peppers look great and should love the heat, hopefully they will give you a good harvest. Good luck with your long work week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've finally broken down and started watering them regularly so they will hopefully be producing like gangbusters soon.

      Delete
  5. SOunds like a lot of no-rain storms, same here. They keep bypassing us :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I"m beginning to wonder if it's personal, LOL! It seems like all the showers that come through seem to miss us.

      Delete
  6. Ouch! Those pictures of your drought are painful to look at - but, that new header photograph hit me like a bell for Pavlov's dog! My mouth watered! I am glad that your vegetables are doing well. I had to sacrifice my nasturtiums - something had to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a delightful photo of corn? We're not growing corn ourselves this year. We picked this up at the farmer's market. I chatted with the lady for a while (it was a slow day because of the heat) about the trouble they are having trying to irrigate. But they still have corn and melons that are to die for!

      Delete
  7. No rain yet huh? Oh dear. Your poor garden. That is one weird potato!! I love your header. Makes me want to have a big ole bite. Actually we did have that corn for dinner tonight with raddishes, cucumbers and shrimp. Also glad to hear your new neighbor wants to farm. Phew!! that's great!!...debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were relieved to learn that our new neighbor doesn't want to develop the land and will leave it as crop and forest land. And shrimp, corn and cucumbers sound fabulous! What time is dinner??

      Delete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.