Sunday, November 18, 2012

Rustic Apple Tart with Lavender Glaze

Sometime this weekend, while picking up magazines, I saw a recipe for a lavender glazed apple tart.  Thinking that it may be something fun to try for Thanksgiving I went back to look for the recipe.  Of course, I couldn't find it anywhere.  I began to think I had imagined it.  So I looked online.  Even my friend Google disappointed me.  I did manage to find a recipe for an apple pie with lavender glaze so I let my imagination loose and got inventive.
The result was definitely a success!
I didn't feel like crawling up on the step stool to get the tart pan from the waaaay high up cabinets so I made a rustic tart.  Ok, I'll admit, I used a premade, roll-out pie crust (I had picked up a couple to make Thanksgiving prep a little less hectic) but you could use your favorite. I put it on a baking sheet and layered apple slices around it- only a thin layer- it only took 2 apples.  This I sprinkled with sugar (sorry, didn't measure) and a couple tiny bits of butter.  I popped the whole thing into the oven and baked it at 400*F until it was golden and the apples were just beginning to caramelize.  Out of the oven I brushed the whole thing down with lavender syrup that I had made earlier.  THAT was what I wanted the recipe for... and it was SO easy.

Lavender glaze/syrup:
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/4 cup dried lavender blossoms (PLEASE be sure to use organic blossoms!!)
Put all these things into a small sauce pan and heat until the sugar is all dissolved.  I let mine come to a boil for a couple of minutes, then strain.  The syrup should last indefinitely in the fridge.  It only took a few tablespoons for the tart.

I do believe this will be making an appearance on the Thanksgiving table this year.  It was DELISH!  In fact, there isn't any left!

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The lavender gives it this lovely floral note... not overbearing but noticeable.

      Delete
  2. Mmmmmmmmmmmm...by the way, I use those pre-made crusts too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one. I've never really mastered pie crust and I know that with making dinner for 11, I'm not going to want to take the time to make pie crusts from scratch. Plus our local store brand are reasonably priced.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous! I use those crusts every turkey day, and with my meat pie last night. Flaky and tasty...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and so much faster! I may be a stickler for scratch cooking for many things but pie crust.....

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful tart/pie! I bet the lavender glaze was heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't so much of a taste as a fragrance that you only got when you ate it. Curious but lovely!

      Delete
  5. Wow, I would never think of using lavender. It looks delicious. Thanks for the "rustic tart" idea. So much less intimidating than true pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done lavender in other baked goods before but not as a glaze. Yummy! And I agree that the 'rustic tart' is much less intimidating. Just lay down the crust, put on your filling and fold over the edges. And if you're using homemade crust it doesn't even need to be very even or round!

      Delete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.