Friday, January 15, 2010

Amazing

I finally joined the 21st century with technology and used my cell phone to make a donation to relief efforts in Haiti. Amazingly enough, people have donated over $10 million as of Friday afternoon through text messaging!!! $10 at a time.
Simply text "Haiti" to 90999 to donate $10 to the Red Cross. I did. You can too. The donation will show up as a $10 charge on your phone bill. But all the money goes to the Red Cross. Your cell company doesn't keep a dime.
Even as tight as our finances are at the moment- we can afford $10 for people who have nothing.

3 comments:

  1. That was so nice of you to donate to those poor people over in Haiti. I don't know why they can't get some doctors and supplies over there. We already did our donation to the Red Cross. Hopefully we can all do some good...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they use some of the funds they are getting to expedite the kids that are awaiting adoption out of there. It seems there are alot of them that have already been approved from way before the crisis but now are tied up in red tape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie- I know a team of doctors with supplies from our hospital is trying to get out of here to get to Haiti tomorrow. They had actually just returned last weekend before the earthquake hit and are now preparing to go back.
    Erin- I hope you're right. I know of at least 2 little girls from around here who were supposed to arrive in early February but are now stuck. What a nightmare. I wish it were as easy as "we'll take a child and give him/her a good home" but there is so much red tape involved. We briefly looked into an international adoption a few years ago but it seemed overwhelming and since we already have three kids we just dropped it.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.