Sunday, April 10, 2011

Warm!!

Oh my, what a weekend!  The weather has been fabulous.  Windy today but with temps in the low 80's.  Yesterday was calmer and almost as warm.  I didn't get as much accomplished as I had hoped but some things got done.
J16 and I did get to the farmer's market yesterday.  The city is doing a trial run of an indoor market that may go year round so I wanted to show my support. I was amazed at how many people were there- it was heartening.  There were 38 vendors present and we, of course, made a few purchases.  We got some fabulous handmade pasta (roasted butternut squash and sage) a few cheeses (a fabulous gouda from Frisian Farms and cheese curds and parmesan from Acoustic Farms).  We treated ourselves to a pair of handmade dark chocolate truffles and picked up a rosemary plant since mine died over the winter :-(
While at the herb table, J16 made a discovery.  The lady running it is looking for an intern to help her out.  J16 jumped at the chance.  She has been looking for work but at 16 with no job experience in this economy she hasn't found anything.  An internship, while not paid, would give her some valued experience and a job reference.  She has always been interested in herbs and herbal medicine and has quite a bit of knowledge about herbs. This lady not only grows plants to sell but she evidently harvests and dries them and makes several herbal salves and such.  She and J16 exchanged numbers and they are going to chat to see what she thinks.  Probably to J16's benefit, as we were selecting our rosemary plant to purchase a friend of ours stopped by and was asking about rosemary (the herb lady didn't know that we knew Robin already) and Justine was able to answer questions and make suggestions of what foods rosemary complements.  Impressive.  The flier J16 picked up says that the internship would include transplanting, weeding, harvesting, drying, and learning about herbs and herbal remedies.  It also involves manning the table at farmer's markets in the area.
When we got home, J16 and I started transplanting little tomatoes into bigger pots.  I pretty much spent most of my afternoons this weekend transplanting little plants.  We did 67 tomato plants, 40 peppers and a variety of other seedlings (eggplant, tomatillos, litchi tomato, romaine and some herbs).  The cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and kale seedlings are on the porch to harden off.  As windy as it was today I'll have to check them for water before it gets dark.
I need to get going.  I spent so much time on garden stuff I didn't get any laundry done this weekend.  Oops....

2 comments:

  1. That is great news for your daughter! Our children also cannot find work so we are looking for other opportunities in order to at least get them some experience.
    I was checking in to see how you weathered tbe weekend storms. All seems well:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for your daughter to be checking into! You were warmer there than we were down in VA yesterday - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.