Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Updates- garden and such

Busy, busy, busy.  It's been quite a day.  My parents came today to help paint here at the town house.  We got the living room done. Let me tell you, it's much easier painting out at the new house when there isn't all this furniture in the way!!  We got a fairly late start on painting since V and I had errands to run in the morning and then we all went out to the new place so Mom and Dad could check out the progress (and move another load of boxes).  
They also brought me 3 huge asparagus crowns (about 10-12 inches across each) that we planted out at the house.  If these do well, they have lots more they can bring me.  Yeah!!  My parents and I came back to the town house to get started painting while V stayed out on the farm to work on changing out the lights in the kitchen and start framing in the attic for the range hood.
My parents are spending the night so we can get an earlier start on painting tomorrow morning, in hopes to get more done.  I'd like to get at least the dining room done, then the entire downstairs will be ready.  YES!  Maybe this is doable by June 1. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
In garden updates- not much new is happening.  The peas are starting to climb the fence, the lettuce is looking great and I noticed that my basil is up.  Now, I just need about 20 hours to weed and everything will be great.  Since this is the first time that this has been tilled and used as a garden space, the weeds are horrendous!  At least the soil is nice and loamy so I can just hoe up most of the weeds between the rows and only have to weed in the rows by hand. Unfortunately, it has been raining almost all afternoon.
Oh, and I almost forgot about the 'super secret tomatoes'!  My parents went to see my brother briefly tonight after dinner and brought some seedlings back with them. Apparently, the story is something like this.  Some guy that my brother knows used to work for a seed company.  They were evidently contracted by a 'major soup manufacturer' to come up with a 'super tasty' tomato over 20 years ago.  This guy worked on developing this tomato for 7 years.  Then the company changed hands and the project was dropped.  Fast forward 20 years.  The man discovers a tin of tomato seeds on a cupboard shelf (20 years old seeds, remember) and decides to plant them to see if any would sprout.  Almost all of them did and now he is giving away these seedlings to his friends.  My brother (the conspicuous consumer) only wants 2 or three plants for his backyard.  He gave my Mom a bundle of probably 15-20 seedlings.  So I will get some of these secret tomato plants (I'm hoping for 3 or 4) for my garden.  I have no clue what they will be so it will be an adventure in gardening.  I'll keep you posted.
And now, it's off to bed for me.  I was up until midnight packing boxes last night and got up at 6:30 and worked hard all day.  We do get a bit of a break tomorrow afternoon.  K9's 3/4 grade class is doing a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream.  We have seen both of our others perform in it so it's a tradition.  They have combined 3/4 classes and their teacher puts on this production every 2 years.  I'm so glad he gets to do this before he changes schools.  I don't know of any of the other teachers in the district who do this and I think it's wonderful!

4 comments:

  1. OOOO secret seeds. That's pretty neat. Bet you never would have though 20 years ago, oh secret seeds, must have them in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious about those seeds too!
    Maybe if they're a success, you can start sharing???? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three cheers for the teacher who goes out of her way to do such a great production. Not many do. He is lucky, your right!! Sounds like your coming along really well with the painting! help is good as long as the help is good!! You are lucky you have your parents help!! Three cheers for them too!!! I can't wait to see what your secret seeds develop into. You could have a contest and give away some seeds!!...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your asparagus thrives in your new home - congrats on the living room. And do post pics of your peas, the blossoms are always lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.