Sunday, March 21, 2010

It was time...

For this...
to become this!
Last fall Mom gave us a huge Hubbard squash that has been sitting down in the basement all winter. Today, I cooked it. YUM!! It made probably 4 quarts of squash puree. I'll most likely have to freeze some but I'm seeing squash soup in the near future. Mmmm..
After the snow of yesterday, today was a beautiful day. A great day to work outside getting started on one of my goals for the year: removing the fence that separates the yard from the meadow. First, I really dislike that old fence and it is made from treated timbers that I'd rather not have around. Also, we will be having the septic system replaced this spring and the fence has to be removed before that can happen so the septic guys can get their equipment in and so they can run the new leach field lines out into the meadow. I need to ask them what we can plant over the leach field but I'm hoping to plant wildflowers and my "tea garden" over the leach field. That would keep down the mower traffic and would look fabulous.
V twisted his knee yesterday as he and the boys were moving a log from a tree that he had cut down a while ago. So, he sat on the bench and supervised (and manned the camera) while the rest of us worked.
J15 and I taking out the top row of timbers.
Then the boys wanted to help!
Taking the "rabbit fence" from the lower part of the fence.
It never deterred the rabbits!
Boys and sledgehammers!!
Getting there- an unobstructed view.
Removing the fence is the first step of our permaculture plan. We got about half of it removed today except for the uprights. Now, what to do with old treated timbers. Definitely NOT raised beds. They're all about 6 feet long but not in very good shape.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, a hubbard squash... perhaps I should plant one of those in our garden.

    And all I could visualize were daffodils planted beneath that wooden fence. ;) Spring is here and warmer weather is on the way

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could line the driveway with the boards. It looks to be a nice strong fence. How come you don't like treated boards? I've had gardens lined with treated lumber and they did fine. I bet the kids had a great time tearing them apart and probably slept well. Hope V recovers quickly! Your squash was huge and such a pretty color!!..debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. A coworker of mine just finished his septic system last fall and did a cattail system. It doesn't need to be nearly as deep as a conventional system and he had to plant cattails on top. Best of all, it meets current state codes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Find out how old they are, the treated lumber used today is treated with a different chemical than the old arsenic dip. Maybe the entrance to the driveway would be a good place? You could use them for a little planting bed near the road? I have a soft spot for split rail fencing, it's my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Di- Thanks for stopping by! Sadly, the only thing growing under that fence are weeds and poison ivy. But, the meadow will become a wildflower garden and orchard.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie- We'll probably use some of the timbers for bridge building and maybe use some for flower beds by the drive.
    I don't like the treated lumber- especially since these are older ones and are probably treated with arsenic and lots of other nasty stuff that I don't want near my food supply.
    Ed- the cattail system sounds great- if we were running it further down the hill that would be great. We've got a call in to a local engineering firm that, in addition to domestic waste management also specializes in wetlands.
    Erin- we're pretty sure these are from the late 60s/early 70s so I don't want them near my food source. They are in pretty rough shape already but we're brainstorming uses for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like hard work but it will be so nice when done! And the goth garden sounds neat - can't wait to see pictures of it
    kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Judy -

    Build a potting table with the boards. I'm with you - I wouldn't use them for beds - too much icky stuff leaching into the soil.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.