It's Monday and that means that it's time for my usual Independence Days update. Here goes:
1. Plant something- 50 little strawberry plants that V and I managed to get planted before the rain really started. I also started some stevia seeds inside and some Red Ruffled Eggplant that were free seeds from the food co-op. They are from Seed Savers Exchange but are a last year's seed packet. They are evidently used more for ornamentals but are, I guess, used in some asian cuisine. I'll have to see what I can find out. It's a bit late to be starting them but, who knows. I want to be able to get out into the garden to plant some more peas but now it just needs to dry out a bit. I also transplanted a few more flowers and herbs into bigger pots. I'm becoming resigned to the fact that I'm going to have to find a temporary location for my herb garden this Spring since the septic seems to be taking forever to get going.
2. Harvest something- a bit of chard and some chives is about it.
3. Preserve something. Nope
4. Waste not- Hmm, the usual. Taking left overs for lunch on most days, using cloth bags at the store (even at Target when we stopped there this weekend). V completed the raised bed using repurposed concrete blocks. It isn't gorgeous but it works! I've got a few more blocks left and hope to make another (NOT on such a slope)
5. Want not- um, not much storage or prep work going on lately.
6. Community food systems- Not much here either.
7. Eat the food- Trying to eat down the stores in the freezer to make room for more to come. I'm hoping to have enough peas to freeze this year but I need to have room to put them.
Yeesh- looking at this list, it doesn't seem like I got much accomplished this week. But I feel that I was busy all week. At least I'm tired enough to have been busy all week. I guess working 6 days straight had something to do with it.
Gotta go and read some of my 3 chapters of Gaia's Garden I'm supposed to read by Saturday.