Sunday, January 15, 2012

Cranberry Orange Bread

While prices have been rising at the grocery store, there was one thing on sale last week that caught my interest.  Since it is after the holidays, they had cranberries on sale. Two bags for a dollar!!  So, guess what?  We've got cranberries!
Aside from the cranberry/apple/jello salad that K11 could eat his weight of, the other thing we really love here is cranberry orange bread.  It just so happens that they were also having a sale on orange juice this week, so this afternoon I mixed up a quadruple batch of this delicious quick bread.  I had all the ingredients and it tends to not last long here (I made a double batch last weekend and it lasted a day and a half!)  Since J17 is hosting friends here tomorrow afternoon I thought it would be a healthier snack than some of the garbage they usually eat on game days.
I'll give you the original recipe that makes one loaf.  I never bother making only one loaf because it wouldn't last as long as it takes to bake. The recipe multiplies easily and will freeze well if you can keep any around.
Stir together in a mixing bowl the following:
2 cups sifted flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon soda

Add to the dry ingredients and blend until just moistened:
1 beaten egg
1 teaspoon grated orange peel (I LOVE my microplane!)
3/4 cup orange juice
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
Fold in:
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cranberries (I've also done this with frozen ones)
1/2 cup chopped english walnuts (these are optional- I don't usually put that many in- it makes it hard to cut neatly)

Spoon into greased loaf pan (9x5x3 inch) and bake at 350* F for about an hour or until done.  Remove from pan almost immediately after baking and let cool (if anyone in the house will wait until it cools!).


The house smells divine with the cranberry orange bread baking.  I have added a little vanilla to the recipe in the past but didn't this time around.  This really is one of my favorite quick breads.  I like it even better than banana bread and that's saying a lot!

And the hens have been generous so far today:
The beautiful speckled one on top is from Helen, our Welsummer.

7 comments:

  1. I'm saving your recipe!! I love cranberry ANYTHING!...and this looks super duper...I think I can even smell it from here! Your eggs are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can almost smell that bread! I've definitely have to try it. I've never seen an egg like that before.. very cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been waiting and waiting for our cranberries to go on sale but they just sit there at the same price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie- this is definitely an easy one! One loaf is already gone- I think Karl ate most of it.
    SciFiChick- this is definitely one to try. Helen actually lays fairly tame eggs for a Welsummer, They are known for their terra cotta colored eggs with speckles. But they are definitely dramatic.
    Becky- I stopped at another store in the same chain this afternoon and they wanted $2.38 for a bag of cranberries. I may make a run to the store on the other side of town and see if they still have them on sale and pick up some for the freezer.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...I have both cranberries and oranges in the kitchen.

    Have you ever tried freezing this bread? I freeze banana and zucchini bread all the time..this should probably freeze okay, don't you think? (There's only 2 of us here...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Akannie- it does freeze well. Although the recipe as given only makes one loaf which, even with only two, you should be able to demolish in no time.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oranges and cranberries . . . yum! I really like making sweet breads for some reason. And they usually freeze so well. If you go back to pick up some of those cranberries for the freezer, get me about six bags, okay?

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.