Monday, January 30, 2012

Enough practice already

Let's do the real thing!!
I finished the preliminary stage of the interlace this afternoon.
It's a bit tedious but not really difficult.  Good thing I've got plenty of pins!! V caught me talking to myself as I worked through the 'overs' and 'unders' of a line to make sure I had them right.
I'll let it sit for a while and then go back to check it again for errors before I press it into place.  I can see in the photos there are some tweaks I want to make.    It's really hard to see the problems (a crooked line here, a not smooth curve there) when you've been at it for a few hours.  After pressing, I'll stitch it down, add borders and quilt.  I'm really pleased with how quickly this is going and I'm happy with how it's looking.  With this morning's potholder I did the applique and quilting all in one step since it was small.  This will be too big to try that, I believe.
But, wall quilt #1 is well underway.  I may even sell this one.

And, don't have a heart attack- I know this is my third post today!

10 comments:

  1. Wow! It looks great. I am impressed. I wish I had that talent.

    Can't wait to see more pictures as it progresses


    Take care, Janet W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I guess I never really considered it a talent- it's just something I like to do. I'll confess- my first one didn't look this nice!!
      Judy

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! I can't wait to see more! Very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- I'll keep you all posted on my progress.
      J

      Delete
  3. So glad you updated and showed us how it's coming and I must say it's really, really neat!! You have more talents that we know, but you are coming clean a little at a time!! I love quilting....debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes.. I'm definitely a woman of mystery! LOL!! Or, more likely, I've got to ration out my skills to keep people interested!
      J

      Delete
  4. It's really beautiful! Love the colors too and am looking forward to all the steps so post to your heart's content! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you don't see here is that each of those little 3/8 inch tubes is not only pinned in place but stuck down with this great stuff called "Steam a seam". It allows you to temporarily adhere the pieces together and then they are permanently bonded when you press it. I can't imagine trying one of these without it. Ack!

      If you're really interested, there is a great book called Celtic Quilts that walks you through it step by step. Not that you need any more projects LOL!!

      Judy

      Delete
    2. Wow Judy
      Lovely and so intricate it nearly looks impossible to me! I have given you an award so when you have time, please come by to pick it up.

      Delete
  5. I love this! Note being able to get to my loom these days (piled with kitchen remodel stuff) I need some handwork. This is a really nice idea.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.