Sunday, January 1, 2012

12 for 12

Happy New Year to all!

I hope this year has found everyone warm and healthy.  So far for us 2012 has been WINDY!  We've had 20-30 mph winds all day with even higher gusts.  I was out giving the chickens some scratch grains and watching shingles blow off the barn roof.  It has been slowly decomposing since we moved in but this is definitely doing a number on it.  But, I'm not complaining.  We've got the winds for a blizzard but not the snow!  And it has been hovering just above freezing all day.

I promised a look at my goals and dreams for next year.  Oh, I started off doing my usual goal list.  Categories for work, home, garden and personal.  But then, I saw this post by Gina that inspired me to do something a little different.
I always liked the Independence Days Challenge when it was going on, keeping regular tabs in various categories on how I'm doing.  So, after a little tweaking and contemplation, I give you my version of 12 for 12.
In order to make positive change in life, I need to take action.  So, I have come up with a list of 12 verbs that I want to use to transform my life in positive ways.  I'm hoping to be able to incorporate each verb into my life in some way every month.  I'm planning to do a monthly update to track my progress.
Here are my verbs/categories and a little explanation of each (in no particularly significant order):
Create:  To use my brain and skills to make something unique.  To build or construct things.
Dream:  Looking to the future, realistic or not.  To stretch myself in new ways.  Tackling new challenges.
Organize:  I'm not the most organized person in the world (I think I need some lessons from Erin!) so I hope to get my act together a bit more.
Love:  enough said.
Complete:  To finish something large or small... I've got lots of UFOs (UnFinished objects) around the house.
Play:  to have fun- engage with the children or V or anyone else, just for pure pleasure.
Nourish:  both body and soul.  Probably here I'll focus mostly on food and real cooking.
Nurture: myself, others, the land- the possibilities are endless.
Budget:  time, energy and finances
Learn:  whether it's continuing education for work or picking up a new-to-me farm/home skill.
Move:  most likely exercise related- I do really need to get in better shape.
Plan/Prepare:  I couldn't decide which word I liked best but they go together.  Looking to the future and being ready for what may come, good or bad is something I let slip in the last year.

So, there you have it.  I'm hoping it will work for me.  We'll see how it goes.  I'm kind of excited by the possibilities it brings.  Play along if you want.
All in all, 2011 wasn't terrible but I'm not sorry to see it go, there were way too many stressful times.  2012, I know, will have it's share of troubles, but I hope that I'm up to the challenge.

Thanks for coming along for the ride for another year!

11 comments:

  1. Like it! I hope you don't mind, but I liked the way you titled a couple of your categories: Nourish, complete. I almost chose "Love" as one too, but chose "balance" instead. However, I think I have balance covered in many of the other categories and I really think "love" is important.

    Great list! I am looking forward to reading how you chose to accomplish your 2012 goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat way to make your resolutions.....may have to steal that idea as I have yet to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like it. I didn't want to make goals this year because 2011 ended with lots of new changes for me that I'm still adjusting to but to think in the same concept at you-those are all great things to aspire towards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I list of 12 that any of us would do well to follow. Very inspiring. (I think you're a better (wo)man than I am, Gunga Din!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That makes so much more sense than the typical list. I think I will steal it, if you don't mind...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina- Thanks for the idea. It was so hard to choose the 12. You wouldn't think it would be that difficult to narrow it down.
    Carolyn Renee- Steal away! I borrowed it from Gina. The more the merrier.
    LindaM- Depending on how this goes I may keep using this strategy. It seems so much more encompassing than setting goals but still, with not so much pressure.
    Mama Pea- Thank you.
    Susan- as I told Carolyn Renee- steal away. This could be fun to see how others apply this... and to see what changes we can make in our lives.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great list. I'm going to copy them down and hopefully play along. Everyone needs goals, especially me. I tend to get stagnant if I don't. I tend to be easily distracted or lazy. Hopefully having your list as a guideline I can stay focused. Thanks Gina and Judy! Hopefully this will keep me on tract for 2012...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not making a list this year.... I'm going to borrow yours LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful alternative to traditional resolutions! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debbie- I'd love to have you play along. It is so easy to get stagnant and this seems like such an easy way to keep moving forward.
    Fitra2009- thanks for stopping in.
    Erin- No problem- but maybe I'll need a consultant for organizing!
    Karen- Thanks.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.