Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Thanks for the positive thoughts

V had his interview today.  He thinks it went Okay.  But who ever thinks they did well in an interview.  Now begins the waiting game.  He doesn't know how many people they are interviewing for the position but he's hoping he has enough diverse experience to stand out.  It turns out that he even knew one of the people on the interview panel- he goes to our church.  Sometimes it seems like we live in a small town.  It is also interesting because several of the other people on the panel are doctors I work with regularly and who know me.  I do hope that doesn't ruin his chances, LOL!   But time will tell.  V was warned that it would be about a month before a decision is made.
Regardless of the outcome of the interview, we need to get cracking on financial aid stuff for J17.  I think I mentioned briefly that she got accepted into a private, all women's art and design school.  The school was evidently impressed enough by her portfolio that they offered her a scholarship that will cover over half of tuition!  But being a small, private school (less than 500 students total) in a major city, the tuition is outrageous!  And that doesn't take into consideration room and board.  But, it is an old school (around since the 1840's) and on the east coast where she wants to be.  And still within easy reach of V's family out there.  So, we'll see.  We've been trying to steer her in less expensive ways- but art/design school isn't cheap- college in general isn't cheap!  With me working less hours, unless V gets this job (or picks up some more freelance work) we'll be tightening belts a bit more. Another reason to focus more on food production this coming year.
Otherwise, things here are pretty boring.  Not much else going on.  Tomorrow K11 has band after school, tonight J17 has her violin lesson.  Sometime this week I've got to bake bread since I'm responsible for the bread for church this weekend.
Oh, yeah!  I actually planted something yesterday!  I have some oats that we'll use for cat grass planted in a pot on the South windowsill in the kitchen.  Spaz has been decimating my potted lemongrass so I figured I'd get him something more appropriate to chew on.  I also brought in one of our window boxes that has been sitting outside on a stump. I think I'm going to try to plant some lettuce in it and put it under the grow lights.  Maybe in a few weeks we'll be able to have a salad or two.  I tried this a few years ago at the old house but didn't have the set up I've got now.  Maybe I'll go plant things now before the prez speaks.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, thinking lots of good thoughts for V and the job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how V feels! I applied for a new job in early December. Correction Officer at a minimum security preson. I'v had three intervews (all in one day!) and now waiting for all the paper work to get back.
    The starting pay is almost $4.50 more then I'm making now and it's only 17 miles from home!
    The start date will be sometime in March. Just like V, I hate the wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good luck with the job! That would be great to be close to home for more $.
      Judy

      Delete
  3. Still sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

    Take care have a great Wednesday.:)

    Janet W

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would J17 consider going to a local school and getting the junk freshman/sophomore classes out of the way and transferring into the fancy school later? That could save a small fortune.

    I'm such a pessimist right now that I'm not sure it even matters what schooling our kids get when the system might not hang together long enough for them to graduate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tpals- we've already worked that angle. Two things- one, if she doesn't go now, she will lose the scholarship (it's renewable for all 4 years as long as she maintains a 3.0 gpa). And, as a private school, they start you in on the art curriculum first year as well as all the core stuff. So, it isn't really one that you could transfer into easily since it is such an integrated program.
      As for your pessimism- I think Justine may get through but I worry about the younger two boys. Not sure what the world will hold for them.
      J

      Delete
  5. I hope things go as you want them to.
    Congratulations to J17! Judy, these colleges are outrageous but a friends son got accepted into an art college and its the only place he wanted to go. He is very talented and the school really wanted him there. His mom kept negotiating until he got full tuition covered. I don't know how but she did. Full 4 years. Maybe the school has lots of other options via scholarships.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH! this comment box is different. I didn't see it at first. Even the comment section is different - have seen one like it before! Your trying to trick us!! lol I hope V gets the job! I'll keep my fingers crossed! My DIL went to the Pittsburgh School of Art and Design and really liked it. Starting the college process is quite a project, and a costly one. But the investment to her future is worth it as long as she studies and makes good grades - which I'm SURE she will. Good luck!! ...debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I switched to the new imbedded comment format. Of course, I did it just to confuse you!
      J

      Delete
  7. Congrats J17,the acceptance letter must have been exciting! A scholarship is amazing, but I know how hard it must be, I don't even like to think about the boys' college, I get stressed and they are still young!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to get used to the idea but I'm still not quite sure how the finances will work if this is really where she wants to go.
      J

      Delete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.