Saturday, January 28, 2012

Let there be light

If you don't have a light table- improvise!
I was working this afternoon to trace the interlace design on the background fabric for my next project- a Celtic Knotwork quilt.  The South door makes an excellent light table.   Pattern taped onto the window, fabric centered and taped and then: let the tracing begin.
It should be fun! I've got everything ready to make my fabric tubes to interlace, but I think I'll wait until tomorrow to cut them.  After a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, I don't think I'm up to cutting 1 inch bias strips with my rotary cutter!  I would probably lose a fingertip!  This particular design has three separate interlacing lines which will be in different colors.  The background fabric, which you can't quite see, is white with silver metallic speckles. It looks kind of like snow.  The rest will be in shades of purple, blue and pink.  I can't wait to see how it comes out!!  This center panel is 15x 32 inches.

In other news, we have had another visitor here at the farm for a while.  I haven't seen him, although V has, but I've seen his tracks after every snow:
We've evidently got a large orange cat living under the front porch.
He must spend his days out hunting.  I'm not minding an outside cat that feeds himself- we've got plenty of mice and voles!  The porch is sheltered and out of the wind but it still must get pretty cold at times.   I've been contemplating putting out a dish of cat food so see if I can coax him out.  V thinks he belongs to one of the neighbors but the cat seems to spend his nights here so I'm not sure if he's right.  I just hope kitty is careful of the highway!

And coming tomorrow... a challenge!!

5 comments:

  1. I've used the same "light box" more than once in the past! If you have a small design to trace, put a light on a table with a clear plastic box (like we store fabric in) upside down over the light. Then you can trace on the bottom (which will be up) of the box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used the plastic box trick as well. And I've got a sheet of plexiglas- probably 15x20- that I prop between boxes or chairs for smaller projects. This one was just too big so I'm glad we installed a door with a 3/4 window.
      J

      Delete
  2. That is a good idea. I used windows to copy things but not material. Such a handi idea! Can't wait to see your quilt. I'm working on one now but can't put it on my blog because it's for my cousin and he reads my blog. I'm hoping to have it done by St. Patrickws Day. I vote to feed the kitty. I bet he has no home if he under your porch. Do any of your animals know he's around? I like orange kitties. We had once once. He was a sweet boy. Hope he stays away from the chickens!! ...debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if our animals know about him- it's hard to ask them, LOL! But I'm sure they do. The dog is out that side of the house often and the cats hang out in the windowsill over that corner of the porch a lot, so I'm sure they've seen him.
      J

      Delete
  3. Oh my, I'm going to have a seizure from thinking about a Celtic Knot quilt... as much from intrigue as from fright though, can't wait to see it develop!

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.