Monday, June 11, 2012

Catching up (photo heavy)

Things have been hectic recently.  Life, garden and family have conspired to keep me from posting.  But I thought I'd try to play catch up.  As I mentioned briefly last post, we spent the weekend at my parent's. All my siblings and all but one nephew and a niece and her husband were able to make it at some point during the weekend.
Here are some photo highlights:
We started the weekend Friday night at my brother's house with a barbeque while people arrived from all over the country. The weather was almost perfect.
Saturday, we reconvened at my parent's home.
We had show and tell.  Dad gave a demonstration and tutorial on his gas to propane conversion on the riding mower.
Games were played and there was much laughter.
In the evening, we all went out to dinner at the old school.  This is the original school (built in 1927) where Dad and all 4 of us children went to school.  Dad graduated from here and we went to school K-6 after the school district consolidated and this became only an elementary school.
We had an Italian dinner that my brother won as at auction last year at the Mennonite Relief sale.
The food was fabulous and prepared and served by ladies my sisters and I went to school with.
The building was purchased in the early '90's by a gentleman and his wife and they have been slowly remodeling and converting it to other uses.  We had dinner in their living room which was my former 5th grade classroom.  They have done a fabulous job on the parts that have been remodeled.
They even used some of the slate from the classroom blackboards as countertops in the kitchen.
After dinner, we got the tour.  The building now houses, not only their living quarters but another rental apartment, a preschool, a law office and an athletic club.
The old cafeteria is now the weight room. Above is the kitchen and lunch counter.  The room seems so, so much smaller than I remember it as a child.
 We also got to see some of the parts that haven't been remodeled yet.  Above is my 4th grade classroom.  The one with the REALLY COOL fire escape.
 The fire escape slide from the third floor.  I remember getting to go down this during a fire drill- it was AWESOME!!
After dinner, we all collapsed into a food coma because we had eaten so much.
Sunday, brought more fun and exploration.  My brother brought his geiger counter and the nephews had fun checking out the uranium vase.
The yellow green color in the vase is due to the use of uranium in the glass.  And, yes, it is radioactive.  Fortunately, you would have to sit it with in your lap for an extended period of time for it to be a problem.
One of my nieces was there with her husband.  This was his first trip to the midwest so we took him out exploring on the farm.  Crawling around in the barn we made many discoveries.
We spied baby swallows up in the rafters.  I love how its eyes seem to glow.
We made it home safely last evening and collapsed. V had baked birthday brownies for me since he didn't think we would appreciate cake after all the food we had been having all weekend.
Today after dinner, we decided to take advantage of the lovely weather and V declared "mandatory outdoor frolic time".

 The sand riding arena makes a fabulous venue for a mean frisbee battle.
But sometimes a search is necessary in the creek when a frisbee goes over the fence.
Now, after a busy weekend, a long day at work and an hour of frisbee, I'm tired.
But, I think I'm finally caught up- at least with family stuff.  I've still got garden updates and other stuff to report on but hopefully now life will slow down a bit so I can catch my breath.

14 comments:

  1. well,happy belated from me too.you have those most wonderful eyes ,full of expression ,they look like you are the kindest of souls.there is one photo with all of you eating at a table with a red tablecloth and my eyes are sucking all the neat decor .I see a old whatchamacallit that is gonna be at a local garage sale just like it(looks like a antique dresser of sorts)behind one of you in the photo.I don't mean to spy but since I don't really ever leave my house ( VA hosptilal,store) I live vicariously through other people's life's,and I love decor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you! The very tall glass cabinet is actually a trophy case that was always in one of the stairwells of the school. They moved it into their living room.

      Delete
  2. Looks like it was a wonderful gathering, Judy...we had our family reunion the first week of June and had a grand huge group of family...

    Loved the old school....very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating conversion on the school building. I would love to find some slate now for kitchen counters! Glad you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They use the slate for the 'high counters'. The main use counters are, I think, granite.

      Delete
  4. It's worth the exhaustion (!) to be able to make a trip like that and get together with extended family. What fun to be inside your old school and see what the new owners have done with it.

    Belated happy birthday wishes to you! Have you hit 35 yet? Hee-hee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Certainly did enjoy all your family photos! I love to see family photos. Just makes you smile at all the good memories being made and knowing everyone had a great time. That school House is really something!! pretty neat tho! I would love to go through it....debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have been doing a great job with the conversion. It's fun to see.

      Delete
  6. Happy belated b-day, Judy! :D

    LOVE the photos! And what a great use for your old school. I simply loathe seeing old buildings staying empty and decaying. The different uses the owners came up with are inspiring. Very cool.

    Looks like you had a great time with your family. How awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad that they are doing something fun with the building.

      Delete
  7. life and garden have been crazy here too, but there is no better excuse to get out of it all than time spent with family and friends! Glad you have been enjoying them :)

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.