Friday, June 1, 2012

Independence Days

Week... something or another... I've totally lost track.
It feels like it's been another busy week here.  But we made it through the month of May!  Woo Hoo!  June will have its own challenges with being very, very short staffed at work, a family reunion weekend, my birthday and keeping up with the weeds in the garden.  But, as always, we will survive.  But, it's Friday and time for the Independence Days update.  I'm actually going to post on time this week!  Truly amazing so here goes:
Plant something- little tomatoes and peppers from Mom and some summer squash- that's about it.
Harvest something- spinach, a few strawberries, a few sugar snap peas before they were devoured by a hungry bunny, herbs and eggs (at least 44 this week- I forgot to record a day so my count is off)
Preserve something- nothing I can think of
Waste not- The usuals plus V made sure the children went through their backpacks when they got out of school to recycle everything they could.
Want not- nada- nothing I can think of for storage or preps.
Eat the food- used one of the last few jars of tomatoes that I got from Mom after mine ran out for spaghetti.  Eating from the freezer much of the time.
Build Community Food systems- 4 dozen eggs went out this week.  3 sold at work and one as a thank you gift for Justine's violin teacher (who was thrilled)
Skill up- nothing. Having a student with me at work, I've been doing much more teaching than learning this week.

Even though I have been excruciatingly busy I don't feel like I've accomplished much around here.  Of course, last weekend was a bust because of my back and other commitments but I didn't get out in the garden as much as I would have liked during the week.  My potatoes need weeded and hilled, my kale has also been overtaken by weeds and as I mentioned earlier- bunnies ate my peas, even though I have the area fenced.  So much for fencing...
But, the tomatoes and peppers are looking great.  I'm hoping that last night's rain will help all the little seeds I planted last week sprout.  After over a week I have yet to see any melons or squash emerge.  Of course, it is entirely possible that the %*!# blackbirds and grackles have snapped them up as soon as they emerged.  Grrrr....  I've never had the birds be this bad before.  I wonder if it's a product of the warm winter that there are just more of them...
Anyway, work was draining today and I'm short on sleep after Justine managed to lock herself out of the house in the middle of the night (after releasing a big moth that had been trapped in her room keeping her from sleeping).  It took me a good hour to fall back asleep and 5:30 came awfully early this morning.

5 comments:

  1. If a bunny ate my precious peas, we would be having Brunswick Stew in short order!

    Hope this coming week calms down a bit for you both at work and home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they didn't even eat the whole plant. They just ate off about the bottom 6-8 inches of each and every plant. Kind of like someone went through with a weed whacker. Grrr!

      Delete
  2. Oh, how I know what it's like to be so busy and feel like you're not getting enough done. But it sounds like you are! :)

    I have to read more about your Independence Days. Neat checklist. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Independence Days is not my project, It is from Sharon Astyk. I've went back and provided a link. It is a neat checklist and there are lots and lots of people participating in it. It's a great way to track what you are doing and see that everything counts.

      Delete
  3. we have had a lot of bad birds too-I did not think it was normal for a black bird to attack and eat a robin?

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.