Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Early June Garden

I haven't done a garden update yet.  Most of the garden is still pretty small- read here not even up yet- but some things are doing really well.
 The broccoli is looking good
 As is the kale- in spite of the heat we've been having off and on.
 Sadly, the spinach isn't taking the heat well and has bolted.  It will become chicken feed over the next few days.
 The potato plants are huge and I should probably hill them again soon.
 But, amazingly enough- the tomatoes are starting to bloom.  Above are the first blossoms on the yellow cherry.
 And the makings of a huge Black Sea Man tomato.
 I'm really liking the landscape fabric I put down this year for mulch and weed control.   I'm contemplating covering it with hay for extra moisture control but I'm worried that that may provide too much habitat for the voles that have plagued us.
Justine and I spent part of the afternoon weeding most of the pollinator garden set into the main garden plot We would have finished but it was HOT out there (mid 80's today and very sunny).  We planted perennials in a spot where there was lots and lots of gravel in the soil.  I was so excited to see many beneficial insects out there.  We saw ladybugs- the REAL thing- not the asiatic ones, assassin bugs and a praying mantis. Very early this spring I found a praying mantis egg case near an old stump and moved it into the garden space.  I was glad to see that it hatched.   I have yet to deploy the birdbath that usually sits in there.  Maybe tomorrow.  I need to finish weeding part of it and I want to get some new mulch to help keep the weeds down.  I also still need to finish weeding the onions.
Much weeding was done this weekend.  The boys helped me weed the potatoes and kale yesterday.  I was impressed at how many questions I15 asked about the insects he found- whether they are good or bad.  Who knows- maybe he is our future farmer.
I'm off tomorrow.  I hope to get up early and get out to weed before it heats up too much.  Then, on the list is sorting K12's clothes to sort out those that don't fit anymore.... and more laundry... there is always laundry.

10 comments:

  1. Lots of good looking greenery in your garden! You're far ahead of me. I'm starting to get a little panicky, but our weather has just been too wet and cool to do much yet. I know one day it will be summer and all the wet and coolness will be gone. Then things will start popping . . . and I'll be able to set things out without worry! Hope you have a good, productive day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check back in my records (and here) to see if I've ever had tomato blossoms this early.

      Delete
  2. I'm as curios as the boys ,always wanted to know about incests ,so are preying mantis good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I hope you mean insects! And, yes, praying mantis are good- even though they tend to eat good bugs too, they eat an awful lot of bad bugs!

      Delete
  3. Wow! That header photograph of the moon is amazing! I stared at it for a good long couple of minutes. Wow. Your garden looks great - we have been having very hot, dry weather, followed by cold, wet. And so it goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was playing with the zoom on my camera the other night when it was really clear. We had an incredibly dry May. Hopefully the rain will come a bit more regularly- but I've got my hose deployed.

      Delete
  4. "Real Ladybugs" LOL... I had forgotten how bad those asiatic ones are up there. The pollinator garden is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You laugh- for years it has been hard to find a 'real' ladybug. This year they seem to be staging a comeback. Maybe it just took them time to adjust after the asiatic ones moved in.
      Currently in the pollinator garden: bee balm, purple coneflower, anise hyssop, St John's Wort, oregano, chives and my walking onions as well as a whole bunch of weeds. I'm leaving the daisy fleabane and some goldenrod there just because.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I forgot the columbine plants

      Delete
  5. I'm terribly jealous! What a gorgegous garden you've got going there. Wow!

    We are still getting too much rain and it's quite chilly. I'm keeping fingers crossed for some sun today. My little garden could use it.

    By the way, LOVE the moon photo in your blog header. Wow! :)

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.