Friday, June 29, 2012

A little wet and IDC

It's raining!!  Woo Hoo!!!  We had as severe storm barreling toward us only to suddenly veer to the north.  I'm not complaining about missing the severe part but I'll miss the inch of rain they got with it. But at least it is raining now.  So far we've had about 0.2 inches and we've got a couple more heavier cells coming toward us. So maybe I won't have to water the garden tomorrow.  Our temps continue in the mid to upper 90's and the extended forecast (10 days out) continues to call for temperatures right about there.  It would be more bearable if it at least cooled down at night but when you get up at 5:30 am and it's already 78 degrees with 70% humidity you really have to force yourself to go outside. Yesterday, the heat index (combo of heat and humidity) reached 117 degrees.  Blah!
But, it's Friday.  Time for my Independence Days Challenge update.
Plant something- some more chamomile and some flat leaf parsley- mine died :(  that I picked up at 50% off at the garden center.  I still need to get my blackberries into the ground but the thought of digging holes in bone dry soil in 100 degree weather isn't really appealing to me...  Don't know why?!
Harvest something- Broccoli, kale, chard, kohlrabi, onions, eggs, a few herbs.
Preserve something- not a thing.
Waste not-The usual recycling.  We've been reusing as much lumber and siding as possible in the construction project
Want not- not much here either
Eat the food- fresh steamed broccoli,  eggs- lots of eggs!  some stuff from the freezer.  I made waffles over the weekend that everyone devoured.  Maybe I'll have to make some more during my time off.
Build community food systems- a few eggs out of the house with one of Justine's friends but that's about it.  I didn't even get to the farmer's market.
Skill up- nada

Oooooo.... big flash of lightning and a crash of thunder- that next storm cell must be coming.  I've got to go watch it rain- it's such a novelty!!

10 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you're getting some much needed rain! I just came in from watering the garden. Who could have guessed we could be so dry only a little over a week from being flooded? Oh, the joys of gardening! Our temps have been in the 90s during the day, but we do cool off at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we did get rain! almost 0.75 inches! Of course, now the humidity outside is even more unbearable!

      Delete
  2. Hooray for rain!

    I feel your pain with the heat and drought. We're having the hottest June on record here in Denver... in the past week we hit 105 twice... and that's the hottest temperature ever recorded here! On the one hand I'm grateful that the humidity has been in the single digits because I know humidity makes it feel hotter, but on the other hand it's terrible for all of the fires. Felt downright cool today with a high of only 98! Sigh.

    I'm comforted to know that I'm not the only person who still has blackberries that need to be planted. I'm not sure which would be crueler, to leave them in the pots a bit longer or to try to transplant them in triple digit heat!

    Hang in there and enjoy whatever rain you can get... it seems to be a scarce commodity these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I'm also glad to know I'm not the only one as well! I agree- I'm not sure which is worse, hauling water to them in pots or hauling water to them in the ground. Hmmm...

      Delete
  3. we got it here in cedar rapids...post pictures tomorrow...our 6 foot wooden fence had to be fixed...knocked over a full grown peach tree...knocked over tomatoes....lost power for 2 hours...grilled dinner while the power was out... Grilled some Iowa corn ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oosh! how sad about your peach tree. I did have three tomatoes go over but no other damage. At least you've got your power back with all this heat and humidity. I feel so, so sorry for all those without power in this heat wave.

      Delete
  4. Hope your rain came "nicely" and nothing bad came with the storm. I'm insanely envious of your moisture; what I would do to hear and see the cracks of lightning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so nice to watch the rain. It seems like it's been forever since we had a good downpour. I hope you get some soon!

      Delete
  5. You could dig AFTER it rains :) We need some too, dry, dry, dry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm... I could do that... the ground is softer now, of course I'd probably die of heat stroke out there. Actually, I probably will plant them some morning soon before it heats up for the day.

      Delete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.