Thursday, June 14, 2012

First jam of the year

Mmm....
 Strawberry/Kiwi Jam
After work today, V and I stopped at the grocery store.  Two stores nearby each other are both having decent sales on fruit this week.  So we got a few pounds of strawberries (at $.99/lb) and some kiwis (6 for $1.19) that became jam after dinner.  Let me just say that it is delicious!
And I wasn't too careful when skimming the foam.  I mean, we need a decent amount for taste testing, right?  5 jars will now go into the pantry for future breakfasts.  Justine has asked if we can make some plain strawberry as well.  Hmm, the sale goes through Saturday, we may need to make another run to the store for more strawberries.  We can go through quite a bit of jam so I'm sure it won't go to waste.  And I'm sure Justine wouldn't object to taking a jar to school with her.

14 comments:

  1. Hi Judy - looks fantastic! (Strawberry jam is my favorite.)

    Happy Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strawberry is one of my favorites as well. The kiwi is a bonus!

      Delete
  2. I love home made jelly!! Yummo!! I have a jar that I got for a gift opened now
    in the frigde. Sure is good. It's sugar free but tastes wonderful!!! ...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the jam kickoff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you've been jammin' already this year.

      Delete
  4. I don't think I've ever heard of strawberry-kiwi jam. But I love both of those fruits so, why not? I'm crossing my fingers but it looks like we will have another bumper year in our strawberry patch. Plain strawberry jam is my hubby's fave and he wouldn't care if I never made any other kind. We're just now finishing up the last of last year's frozen strawberries in our lunch time smoothies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had strawberry-kiwi juice and other blends so I kind of invented the jam. It worked pretty well. Our freezer strawberries have been long gone and our berries were a bust this year due to the weird weather.

      Delete
  5. Strawberry-kiwi sounds fabulous! Do share your recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on some regulation strawberry this evening. All I did was substitute a cup of kiwi for a cup of strawberries. It set really well and the kiwis give it a little extra tartness.

      Delete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.