Saturday, June 30, 2012

A Triple H kind of day

HAZY, HOT and HUMID.  That sums up our weather. But I'm NOT going to complain!  We ended up getting about 0.75 inches of much needed rain last night.  We had no major damage from the winds that have plagued so many other areas.  We have power and air conditioning in this awful weather.  So, I am grateful.
We still, however, could use some more rain.  This rain brings us to approximately an inch of rain for the entire month of June.  We average about 4.5 inches for the month so you can see how dry it has been.  Hopefully the weather pattern has shifted a bit and the storm tracks will normalize a bit.
Three tomato plants were blown over but only one sustained any real damage and that's only a few broken branches, nothing major.  The peppers looked pretty windblown last evening but seem to have righted themselves today.  Of course, now the weeds that were already out there seem to have exploded- as has the lawn.
Work today wasn't too bad and now I've got 4 days off.  Let's see what I can get accomplished.


UPDATE:  I talked to my mother who managed to get hold of my sister in the D.C. area.  They are without power but are all well.  They have trees down in the neighborhood and have been informed that it could be a week or more before they have power again.  But at least they and my nephew and niece are all fine.
I'm sending cooling thoughts for all out east without power in this heat.

9 comments:

  1. You got rain! So lucky. All we got were some thunder rumbles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a first for us. It seems that for the last few weeks storms would track either just north or just south of us. We could see and hear them but got nothing. So I'm grateful.

      Delete
  2. Good fro you with the rain! It's about 100 today, my poor chcikens are so hot. Lucky for them they get ice chips, etc. to keep cool...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are such a good chicken mom, LOL! Our coop does pretty well in the heat and with the extra shade and water ours seem to be doing pretty well.

      Delete
  3. My gosh, if it isn't one thing bad weather-wise across our nation, it's another! We also need some rain to add moisture to the garden and cool us off a bit. Although we can't complain too much here in northern Minnesota because although we're hitting 90s in the sun, it is cooling off nights. Now at 10:15 p.m. it's down to 67 outside. Can't beat that! Good thing, too, 'cause there's not much in the way of air conditioning around here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I"m thankful that some previous owner installed high efficiency central air. Probably when it was a vet clinic- I don't think you could have a successful business with no air conditioning around here. But even without the air, the basement stays pretty cool.
      This morning- it's 7:45 and it's already 78 out there and humid.

      Delete
  4. Its good to know that your family is fine. We could use rain up here too. I don't believe we have even had a drop of moisture outside of humidity here most of this month which is odd because in years past, if it was humid out, we had dense fog the next morning which was a good thing for gardening-but even the fog is gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like the weather has been so hit or miss this year. Woe to all those nay-sayers about climate change.

      Delete
  5. glad your family are ok-my guests are gone even the rude ones.I mean who wouldn't let a brother visit his dying brother while in town ,she is just not right in the head (the wife) and I have no idea what I did to offend her.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.