Sunday, March 29, 2009

A honey of a wedding

Claudia's honey
We're home.  We weathered the snow storm and driving through central Illinois on not great roads.  Actually, the roads weren't as bad as we feared they would be, having heard horror stories of the snowstorm.  By the time we made it home, almost everything had melted and my crocus were bravely blooming in the sunshine.
The wedding was lovely, small and intimate.  The bride was lovely and my nephew, in spite of forgetting his vows and needing a cue, looked quite handsome.  Of course, I remembered to take everything but my camera!  I hope my sisters send me a few pics.  The dance was loads of fun, although K-9 refused to dance, even when one of the bridesmaids asked him to dance during the opening snowball waltz.  But I got to dance with V, I11, and my father (along with lots of other people during most of the dances). There were only about 120 people there all together and 24 of those were my immediate family (parents, siblings, nieces and nephews and a few fiances).  It was lots of fun to have my entire family together.  It's been a while since everyone was there, it seems that usually there is someone missing. 
The wedding favors at the reception were little 6 oz. jars of honey from the bees the bride studies for her research.  I was pleased that even the boys were excited to each get their own jar of honey.  
We ended up getting by much cheaper on this trip than I expected.  We didn't have to pay for any of our meals for the entire weekend.  Friday evening, we went out with one of my sisters (the one who's hubby works for the DOE), her family and my other niece and her finance.  My brother-in-law picked up the tab for dinner, much to our delight.  Breakfast both Saturday and Sunday was the complimentary hotel breakfast, my brother (father of the groom) picked up the tab for the Saturday lunch before the wedding and then there was the wedding dinner.  So we got off with only the expense of 2 hotel rooms (although we had an excellent rate of $45/room per night), gas money and boarding for the dog.  
While we had fun, it's nice to be home.  I was worried about how my seedlings would fare but they did fine.  Evidently Jim watered them for me yesterday when he came to pick up the mail for us.
Now, on to laundry so I have clothes to wear next week.

6 comments:

  1. Glad had you fun. I love the honey idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a great time :-) The honey, it's so clear and sparkling, I've only seen darker honey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute idea giving honey in cute little jars! I liked the verse that went with it. Sounds like you had a great time. Weddings are such fun!...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a fun trip - and what a great idea on the honey!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome home!

    What wonderful favors! She studies bees and also keeps them? Tell us about her studies, if you can. With CCD, it is very nice to know that people are studying them.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.