Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spring is here

At least on paper.  It is a lovely day here today- in the upper 60s.  Too bad I spent almost all day inside at work.  The crocus are blooming and the daffodils and tulips are pushing their heads up. We re-bedded all the bulbs last fall, hoping to be putting the house on the market in the spring- or at least to be able to get spectacular photos when the bulbs and the lilac hedge are all blooming.  
In some interesting news- we learned this morning of a new law in Iowa that went into effect March 1.  It requires that all electrical work in a building be done by a licensed electrician except for 'routine maintenance' and have a final inspection by a master electrician.  Routine maintenance means swapping out existing lines and fixtures.  Any changes need a permit and all such.  One more thing to add onto the list for tomorrow- although I see this as a rather unenforceable law...unless they make you show your license to buy something at the home improvement store or if someone turns you in.  They are touting it as a safety measure but I really see it as the state trying to make some extra money from permits and inspections and the union trying to drum up business.  It definitely puts a damper on the do-it-yourself-ers.  I'm just sure my Dad is going to get an electrician to do any work on the farm- he's been doing electrical work for 50+ years.

8 comments:

  1. Poop-de-doo on that law...and I doubt if Home Depot or any other store would turn in anyone - if they started doing that word would get around pretty quick and no one would purchase at that store againg. On our last investment house there is a city ordinance that you have to have a permit to do home improvement. Well, I told the painter he was to be my uncle if anyone asked and that's how we got by that. Like they always say...there's more than one way to skin a cat!!...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would bet that Home Depot wouldn't even know about that law, at least here in Alberta they aren't the brightest bulbs in the bunch.

    We have to have permits here for just about everything, but a DIY'r can do it themselves if they pass the first inspection.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is an electrician, but he doesn't have a license. His previous employer carried them for him. We have laws like that, too, but do you think we or any family or friends hire a licensed electrician? You're right it's rather unenforceable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lame Law! Good luck at your meeting Sunday. Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure there's the safety aspect of it all, but as usual, government "over-does" it, and it ends up costing us all too much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad was also an "electrician on the side" (i.e. not licensed) and did all my rewiring in the old house I bought as a twenty-something. I would not have been able to afford a licensed one. Years later, I hired a group to put in some up-dated outlets and fix a light fixture and it cost me around $300-400!

    I agree with safety, no doubt, but you are right about it leaving DIYers in a thick spot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck at your meeting today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally unenforceable and probably directly related to the sheer numbe of people who finally figured out that we can do things for ourselves! LOL. I'm sure there is some liability from houses that were flipped during the boom with bad wiring that is the excuse, though.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.