Saturday, March 14, 2009

Making the offer!!!

Is this the house of the future??? The view from the southeast
It isn't much to look at and it has it's issues but we're making an offer today.  We spent about 2 and a half hours out there, walking the perimeter of the property, going over all the buildings and talking offering price.  I'm really happy with the agent we have representing us.  He evidently went out to the property earlier in the week by himself and had already made notes of lots of things. He had called the company that services the well and septic and asked about records for all those things.  
From the dining room to the kitchen.
From the drive, looking west at the barn and pole building.
The riding arena.
Ok, looking at this, maybe I don't want my garden here.  It seems really wet, even with the gravel and sand base. With the weather sunny and 50 we had more time and motivation to wander the property so I was able to scope out several other places for a garden so maybe this is out.
The house needs LOTS of work- V will have his hands full (as will I) but here is the biggest selling point:
The view from the deck to the south. Heaven!!
The kids had so much fun playing in the creeks.  There are, I think, 4 creeks that converge on the property.  Where they join there is a tiny pool where K9 discovered a little fish, which tells me that there is likely water there year round.  To me, that means that at least one of these creeks is spring fed rather than just being intermittent drainage.  
I have tons more pictures, lots of the children exploring- I'll try to post some more later.  Now, lets just hope they like our offer.

11 comments:

  1. Actually, it looks like MUCH! I hope this works for you the way it should.

    And LOVE the archway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a heavenly place for kids! I hope you get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just kind of stumbled on your blog and read this post. I grew up on a farm in Iowa and though I still live there after and absence, it is in town and I dream of buying a little acreage with some out buildings. I wish you the best of luck so that I can live vicariously through your blog until I can realize my dreams when my wife gets done with her residency and we can permanently settle somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Judy! It looks wonderful! Having a fixer-upper is a good thing (in my opinion) because then you get to put your 'signature' on it - then it is how you want it, and the pride that comes with that is unmeasurable! Good luck with the negotiations!!

    p.s. Creeks and kids - is there anything better?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! The floors are great and I love the arched doorway! And the barn, the creek, the view...sigh! You guys are going to be so happy there!

    Good luck with the offer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the house is adorable. And the land... oh how beautiful it is. Good luck! I hope it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OO I LOVE the kitchen! So light and airy. I would love to have a fixer upper like this.
    Our family is trying to do what you are doing and become more self sufficient. We have just started looking around for property as well. I'm hoping by this time next year we'll have settled into something good and that we are starting to live off of our property.
    Good luck on the house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been thinking about you all day, wondering how it went. It looks wonderful! Having creeks is a huge plus! I can see you sitting there looking out over the hills...hope it all works out!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, we signed on the dotted line and wrote a check for the earnest money. We'll know by Monday if they accept this offer. Then it's counter offers if necessary. The way we have it set now it's closing by April 15th. EEEK!
    I do love it. It is definitely a 'fixer-upper' but it is just beautiful!!!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful! I love to hear about people's dreams coming to fruition. I hope that you and your family will be very happy there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was thinking of you all day yesterday, wondering how it went. I hope you get it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.