Monday, March 23, 2009

Independence Days- week 15 and 16

I'm behind in my posting for IDC.  I've been a bit preoccupied with house stuff for the past week or so and haven't been keeping up.  I can't necessarily remember what is for what week but here goes:
1. Plant something- Yes.  Tomatoes, peppers and eggplants are up under the lights and I planted tomatillos on Saturday.  I need to get my second battery of lights hung and get some lettuce started.  I know Roger put out some peas last weekend when I was working.  I'm not sure when I will be able to get out but was hoping to get them in the ground at least by April 4th.
2. Harvest something- Other than a few lettuce leaves from the basement crop- nope.
3. Preserve something- No
4. Store something- 10 pounds of flour (unbleached) and vanilla
5. Manage reserves- ate almost entirely from reserves last week since I didn't have much time to go to the store- it will be that way this week as well, especially since we'll be gone for the weekend.
6.  Cook something new-  Um, I don't think so...I have been perfecting my granola bar recipe and have finally settled on a waffle recipe that everyone likes.
7.  Prep something- Well, we've been working on the ultimate prep, negotiating on the acreage.  We met with our realtor again this evening and signed a new offer contract since the old one had expired.  We are now less than $25000 difference but we're not going to be willing to go much higher considering how much work needs done on the house.
8. Reduce waste- Not much different than usual- we do need to figure out what to do with our defunct microwave.
9. Learn a new skill- other than negotiating skills on the house- Nope.
10.  Work on community food security-  I've been trying to talk one of my younger co-workers to plant a little bit of garden at her house.  She is married to a farmer so you'd think she would be interested.  We'll see.
11.  Regenerate what is lost- Not so much this week.  I've been pretty self-centered with all the house stuff going on.  I am looking forward to seeing lots of family this coming weekend at my nephew's wedding.
12.  Behavior change-  Whew!  Not much procrastinating going on around here.  Things are flying fast and furious.  I've got the master list of repairs for this house to prep it for sale.  I'm not going to be a seller like we're negotiating with and leave things half done.

All in all, not a bad two weeks.  I hope to get back on track with things soon.  I'm just worried that house stuff will interfere with my garden plans and we're depending on having garden produce to eat and preserve to help us make ends meet with a mortgage payment.

7 comments:

  1. I know what house you are talking about and I think they are asking a bloody fortune for the place so I wouldn't be willing to go up if I were you either.

    I remember when we closed on this place, we had to wait until mid-June and I was upset about the fact that I didn't get to garden that year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh at #10. I work with a bunch of 'farmer's wives' (in the office next to mine) and I don't believe any of them garden. Last fall I was walking on lunch break with the youngest of the bunch and I was talking about canning pears I bought from the farmer's market. She says, "O, I have a pear tree, but we can't eat them because I never sprayed them..." What???? You mean you can't cut the wormy parts off? (Her husband is a bonafide chemical spraying type farmer).

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was a whole lot of procrastinating in my house this past week. The kids came home from college for Spring Break. That kind of thing throws me off any type of schedule. I didn't start any more seeds, though I need to. I haven't finished the quail cage though I will be needing it soon.I need to make laundry detergent. I didn't even attempt to learn to cook anything new.I haven't grocery shopped for the house in almost three weeks, so I have stockpiled nothing and we are eating our reserves...The list gets worse and worse. I need to find another blog to read... Maybe a special one just for procrastinators! Oh well...I'll get around to finding a blog like that one of these days! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you've done great considering what you are going through negotiating on the property. Try not to worry about the garden. Go ahead & plant at your friends house as long as he is willing. Once you own it you will have years & years of gardening there. Might take longer than you imagine to get a garden plot ready at the new place. Negotiating is stressful enough!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got more done than I did, and I'm not trying to buy a new property!!

    When you reach your price limit, let the sellers know that it is your final offer and that you will go back to considering other properties. Often gets them off of their duffs!! Their are many more properties for sale than there are buyers wanting that particular piece!!

    I'll be thinking good thoughts for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did it go with the realtor today?
    Yeah I defintely got too much to plantI dont honestly know what Im going to do, other than try my best that is ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. #10 reminds me of my MIL. They have a farm or rather farm land, they don't really do much farming with it. Every year she wants a garden, but then ends up preserving very little. FIL does all the planting and picking and then she just lets it sit. We end up with lots of "waste" for our chickens. Last year their green beans didn't do well and so I shared a couple bushels with her. A week or so later I went back and they were still sitting in her kitchen. That really got to me.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.