Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A question about apples

I've got a question.  I'm not an expert on apples.  My parents have an orchard and I've grown up around apple trees but I really don't know that much about them.   Here's the scoop:
A few weeks ago I was cutting up an apple for K (now 9) as I was cutting out the core a seed fell out.  The curious thing was that it was starting to sprout.  Since they are doing their 'growing things' unit in science at school he wanted to plant it.  I've got no problem with that.  We get an old cup, fill it with seed starting mix, popped the seed in and set under the lights downstairs.  Given that the apple had been in the fridge I wasn't sure if it would continue to grow but it did.  Now we have a lovely little apple tree in a cup- it is a few inches tall and has 4 leaves on it.  I fully realize that it will be many years until this would bear fruit but my question is this:  Do apples grow true to the parent fruit?  This was from a Braeburn (Yeah, I bought some since we were out).  K is so excited to have an apple tree but will it be Braeburn apples if it lives long enough to produce?  I guess I'll have a few years to work on this one.  Now we just need to find a place to plant it where we will be around for a few years- I know it won't last forever in it's little solo cup.

7 comments:

  1. It should grow the same kind of apples but I'm not positive about that. I also THINK apples are one of the plants that have to have at least two to pollinate, you might want to start another couple of seeds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apples almost never come true to seed, that is why they are grafted. But it would make great rootstock for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Judy
    I recently read a big article on apples......and Trapper Creek is correct. You won't get the apple you just ate, but, then again, it might be a throwback to a good one.
    It will be fun to see, at any rate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Late, but I've read the same: they don't go true to seed. Yet it is still going to be an apple, right? Go for the mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What they all say ( grin)

    but it WILL be an apple ( although maybe a bit tart or bitter....) and you could always graft on to it as a rootstock...

    now THAT would be one heck of a science project!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will need to have two of the same kind of tree for the apples to cross pollinate. (Something I've just been learning as I too just planted some apple trees ) Also, if the apple was store bought it will not produce fruit, it has to be an open-pollinated seed. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks all. I vaguely remember my parents grafting apples but by the time I was old enough to pay attention all the trees were fairly mature and producing fruit. I may just wait and see what happens to this one. At only a few inches tall, I have a few years yet before I have to worry. Who knows? It may surprise me.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.