Saturday, June 18, 2011

Five hours

That's what I spent in the garden today.  Weeding and mulching.  It was nearly perfect weather for working out there.  It was cloudy and mid 70's.  The downer was that it was really humid and everything was wet when I started early this morning.  I re-discovered the broccoli and cauliflower that had been nearly overrun by weeds. After lunch, J17 came out and helped and we got most of the herb bed weeded before we moved on to the tomatoes and peppers.  As the rain approached, we had the boys come out.  They gathered grass clippings from the lawn that we used for mulch.  So at least the tomatoes are mulched.
I did notice on the tomatoes that we've got the start of bacterial spot on a few of the plants.  Sigh... probably a consequence of too much rainy weather and weeds restricting air flow.  But, the plants have been weeded and mulched now so that should help. I'll have to stop off and get some copper to spray on the plants when (and if!) it ever dries up enough.  I hope it stops raining before this gets too much worse.
It was a good day's work... and I picked another quart of strawberries this afternoon.  Mmmm, I see another batch of strawberry rhubarb sauce in my very near future.
Tomorrow is Father's Day.  I need to check with my brother about what time we should be over at his house for the barbecue.  My parents will be coming up so I'll get to see Dad for Father's Day.  Hooray!!
I'll have to think of something to take along for lunch.  J17 suggested a kale salad (you know: kale, garlic, lemon juice, salt, olive oil).  I'd really like to take something from the garden but kale and green onions are about all we've got at the moment.  Hmm, or the rhubarb sauce.....

I hope you all have a fabulous Father's Day. If you're lucky enough to still have your Dad- let him know you love him.  I know I will.

5 comments:

  1. Strawberry Rhubarb is my favourite! You are so lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I helped my friend Holly pick strawberries today.. We got a lot~! This is the 6th picking and they are still producing. I planted Kale for decoration but I guess I could eat it too. Gardening gives one a great rush of accomplishment when you are pulling weeds. Everything looks so much better and the vegetable plants stand out so you can see them again.
    Have a great Fathers Day~! ta ta for now from Iowa:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love those good weather days when I get so much done, enjoy! Hope that wilt isn't too bad, this year isn't giving us much of a break - are a few tomatoes too much to ask for LOL?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great that you got to spend that much time in the garden. Hope you have a fun Father's Day with you family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm...that kale salad sounds wonderful. I'm about to have a problem (I think) with too much rain and my squash.

    My dad has been gone over 25 years this year. I miss him every day. Please tell your dad HFD for me!

    (BTW--congrats on the marathon weeding!!!) lol

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.