Sunday, June 5, 2011

A holiday of sorts

What's wrong with this picture?

LOL!  Dad is the oldest one of us here and everyone stands around watching him work!  Of course, he has, by far, the most experience of any of us with a chainsaw.  The tree trunk is cleared and the damaged gate has been removed from what is left of it's hinges.  Hooray!  But that is about all the work that got done today.  So, for us, it was a holiday of sorts.
We had quite the family gathering.  All told, there were 12 of us siting around the table at lunch.  It was lovely to see everyone.  This is the first time that my sister and her husband have been here so they got the grand tour- and ended up helping out.
I've got to laugh at my siblings.  Both of them ended up out in the garden weeding.  I did tell them that I didn't invite them over to have them weed!  Honestly, I did!!  But they both helped out.  That tells you something about how pathetic the weed situation in the garden is!  But, I did send my sister home with starts of chives and garlic chives and with some walking onions.  They are truly the coolest things!  I hope they do well for her in Colorado.
We had a great lunch.  Grilled local brats and some hot dogs that Mom brought.  I made some oriental slaw with napa cabbage and Mom brought her famous macaroni salad.  I also made some hummus this morning for a dip with tortilla chips or veggies and we had some Sterzings- a locally produced potato chip that we grew up with.
By the time everyone left, it was already 5 pm so we just decided to call it a day and relax.  Let me tell you, it feels nice.  Of course, I know I've got fifty thousand things to do, but V and I sat on the deck and watched the wildlife.  We spotted lots of different birds and were even visited a few times by a hummingbird.  Even my brother was bird spotting and came in to borrow my bird ID book.    Too much fun.
Well, I've rambled on for a bit with not much to say other than we had a great day with the family.  And we got that darned tree trunk out of the way.  I hope you all had an equally wonderful Sunday.

Oh, and I've got to tell you- when they were leaving and I was giving Dad a hug and kiss goodbye- I thanked him for helping with the tree. He chuckled and thanked me for letting him come cut it.  "It's my hobby, you know."  LOL!! Only my Dad!!

5 comments:

  1. I wish I knew someone with a hobby of wood cutting, or better yet, house cleaning ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great time! Hope you get some rain-free days to finish the coop. Can't wait to see the chickens in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great photo of your dad and everyone watching him work! Sounds like a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you all had a wonderful day, and had lots of fun and good food. I liked the weeding fest you had going on there!! lol ...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect way to recharge your engines! Sounds like a wonderful time was had by all.

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.