Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Solstice at Troll Bridge

Happy Summer Solstice!!

Things here at Troll Bridge Acres are going well.  Of course, it's still raining off and on and the garden is weedy.  But things are growing and blooming. Here's a few photos of the day.
The Black Watchman hollyhocks are blooming in the goth garden:
As is the Sweet William 'Sooty'  It doesn't look very dark in the photo...
 The St John's Wort is blooming... maybe some tincture is in the future.
 And the tomatoes are starting to bloom.
 And of course, I can't post photos without some obligatory chicken photos.
Below is Georgie or Captain Georgina.  She's an Ameraucana.  Check out her ruff and green legs.  Isn't she cute.
 And Magnus is staring me down...  He's getting little wattles on his chin. Awwww...  he's growing up.
The days start getting shorter from here on out until December.  EEK!  Where has the year gone.  It has been such an odd spring that it doesn't really seem time for solstice yet.
I hope Summer is good to everyone and that the weather cooperates with the gardens, here and wherever you are.

8 comments:

  1. The blossoms are beautiful! How are you ever going to cull the flock someday with names like "Captain Georgina"? LOL, I think she's definitely going to be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful hollyhocks! I planted some dark ones, but they are growing in inches, no flowers this year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin- CULL!!! Oh, my! The children would have NONE of that. I'm sure our chickens will live happy retirements when they get old. K11 named Captain Georgina- don't ask me where that one came from.
    The author- it was so hard to wait last year when we planted them, but the wait was worth it!!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! When I get my chickens I'll have to make sure nobody tells them about Troll Bridge, they'll be gone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh...LOVE those hollyhocks. Can I get some seed? I passed on about a quart of seeds to a friend who lives in Arkansas a few years ago..she fell in love with my hollyhocks and said she hadn't seen the old flowers since she was a girl at her grannies.

    Your chickens look great, 2 of my Australorps are molting a little around the head and neck and look raggedy. lol The Buff Orpingtons tho--drop dead gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Akannie- definitely! You can have seeds. I've got a few left in the packet (we started them last year so it's old seed) or I can save a few when these go to seed. Email me your address and I'll send you some.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh, can I beg some seed off you too!?? I am trying to get different colors going. So far the color I have that is blooming is white! I'd be happy to exchange if that's interesting to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The author- no problem. I'd love an exchange! email me with your address and I'll see what I can do.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.