Monday, June 6, 2011

Making up for lost time...

... with the temps, that is.  It seems like the weather is trying to make up for all the heat it didn't give us this spring.  We hit the mid 90s today with high humidity.   BLAH!   It was hot, hot, hot working on the coop this evening.  But, I got out there and did some more work on the interior.  I put up what we're calling 'the poop walls'- we lined the bottom few feet (higher behind the roost) with plasticized masonite board that we salvaged out of the old surgical suite in the basement.  Now with the walls and vinyl floor, after clean out it can just be hosed out.  So, the interior is done except for the wire wall and the nest boxes.  Now, we just need to finish the wire dividing wall (actually half wood and half wire) in that will separate the chickens from the storage area, put hardware cloth over the windows and finish the chicken and clean out doors.  We're down to the final bits.  Unfortunately, V is behind on his book which leaves me doing the work after I get home from work so it's going slow.
However, on a (hopefully) brighter note in the garden. I've decided to 'hire' J17 to weed.  There is no way I have been able to keep up with things so I've offered to pay her an hourly wage for weeding.  I didn't get my final things planted in the garden this weekend-  I hope it's not getting too late to get them out.  But I hate to give up chicken coop work time for the garden.
I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment.  Yesterday was a great break but I've got so much on my plate at the moment that now I'm almost regretting taking the time off.  It's supposed to be another scorcher tomorrow but I'll see what I can get done.  J17 plans to go out early in the morning to weed while it's cooler.  (The idea of having gas money appeals to her. )  Maybe I'll try to put in the last garden bits tomorrow... we'll see...

5 comments:

  1. We all wait so anxiously for winter to be finally over, then WHAM - we're busier than a one-armed paper hanger. You have done a lot of work on that chicken coop and it's going to be exciting for all of us when the chickens go in! We are heading for scorcher weather, too, with no rain in sight for a while. Nothing moderate about the weather so far this year. That's a great idea, hiring your daughter to weed - that's one less thing you have to worry about and a great way for her to earn gas money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The heat here has also been in the 90's and continues all this week too. Hope you can get things caught up with out too much stress. Good idea with the weeding. I hate to weed...Looking forward to the Coop being done...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how you can work in those temps! After about 85 here with the humidity I hide inside LOL. It's 88 today but we're getting your 90-100 starting tomorrow, yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blech. There is absolutely, utterly, frustratingly TOO MUCH to do this time of year. Throw in the awful humidity and high temps you're having and I don't know how you make yourself function. We had humidity and 80 here yesterday afternoon (NE Minnesota) and hubby and I just about expired.

    I totally believe in child labor. We women are so reluctant to ask for help when we need it. Gotta get over that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather change has been crazy. We hit 100 yesterday and 90s today. At least Wednesday is supposed to cool down.

    I'm behind on the garden too!

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.