Thursday, May 10, 2012

Whew!

It has been a whirlwind few days.  We've gotten through both boys' concerts. K12's on Tuesday and I14's last night.  I14's concert lasted until 9:30!  Yesterday, between work and other activities I was at home for a grand total of 90 minutes between 6:30 am and 10:15 pm!  And that 90 minutes was packed with chicken chores, making pizza and a chicken tour.  "A chicken tour?" you may ask.  Yup.  Jen (of EmSun) and her family stopped in briefly to pick up some eggs and her children really, really wanted to see the chickens.  My children aren't excited by feeding the hens clover blossoms anymore so it was fun to see.
Work has been quite busy and stressful lately.  But, while I've been busy, busy, busy at work V has been busy, busy, busy at home working on the deck since he is between writing assignments.  We have progress!!  Check it out!
 V peeking up through the joists, with the beginning of the deck planking.
 He didn't quite get finished with this section before it started getting dark. You can definitely see how much the old wood has weathered.  He decided to not pull up some of the old planks to stagger the joints because when he tried to pull out screws in the old decking it splintered terribly.  So, we've got a butt joint.  It will be fine.
If you look at the big beam still extending out, that is how far the deck will extend to wrap around the house.  But before the joists go up there, we've got to lose a low-hanging tree branch.  V wants to take out the branch before the deck goes in so it doesn't damage anything when it drops.
Isn't he just the greatest, most amazing guy! This time around, he has done most of this work by himself.  I think he deserves a cookie!!  He is working so hard to make this my dream come true home/farm.
And finally, I leave you with a photo of my other peonies.  These are the ones by the deck stairs.
This flower is probably 6 inches across. Beautiful.

Now, I've got to go- I've still got several things on my list for tonight and it's getting late.

16 comments:

  1. I hate it when school night functions last too far into the night. The deck is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Monday night's event will also go late and when we finally get to the graduation ceremony- it doesn't start until 7 pm! That's rough for people who have family traveling into town.

      Delete
  2. Lovely woodworking there! And the peonies are beautiful, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. can I borrow him,I'm afraid someone is going to fall through on my deck----jk but I don't think I could take another injured person right now,kind of got my hands full,Jerry is holding his own,Patrick needs surgery on the knee,after 5 visits to the ortho and now the courts have given my middle son who lives downstairs full custody of the 2 younger( 6 & 7) grand sons,mom being diagnosed with borderline personality disorder,I feel so bad for her but as I understand ,a very hard disorder to treat.the children have a court ordered advocate/ adledu9spell check). the boys have told her they don't feel safe with mom,to to sad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oosh, I'm sorry to hear you've got even more going on in your life. I work with many people with BPD. It is rough as there aren't any medications that help- it just takes lots and lots of therapy and they have to be willing to do the work. Those are people who tend to bring chaos with them wherever they go. I do hope the boys can get some more stability with your son- they will need that- and grandma as well!!

      J

      Delete
  4. Wow, you've got a full plate what with the three kids being so involved with their activities! Plus the continued house remodeling (I can identify there), your homestead, your outside job, etc., etc. I do not know how you do it all. Kick me in the butt the next time I complain of having too much to do, will ya?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I've got you all fooled! The garden is full of weeds and the sink is full of dishes. I can't do it all and sometimes things slide but I try to at least keep the house livable. What's got me thrown for a loop now is all this extra stuff for graduation.

      Delete
  5. The deck is looking great! I don't like it when school stuff runs late, either.

    (Side note, Judy, I'll be praying for you all.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina- I'll take all the help I can get! Things will be fine- they always are. And if the house isn't spotless and the garden weed free for the party- so be it.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the tour, Judy! The kids really appreciated getting to see the chickens. I'm always so shy when I go to visit people, so I apologize if I was quiet or awkward. :)

    It was nice to see everything you've accomplished since our last visit (in person!). :D You're place is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh for pete's sake - I meant "Your" place. :)

      Delete
    2. Jen- it was a delightful visit. You'll have to stop in for Justine's grad party on the 19th. At least then the house will be clean!

      J

      Delete
  7. The deck is looking great!! It'll be great to have so much room!! V is doing a great job!! He's always building SOMETHING!! you are a lucky woman to have a hubby that can and will do all those wonderful building projects. ...debbie HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time, I'm fortunate to have him doing things. Of course, there are times when I get mad at him because he does dangerous stuff when he's home alone (like cutting down large tree limbs).

      Delete
  8. The deck looks amazing! Isn't it awesome to have a great co-conspirator when you take on big projects? I am very grateful for mine :)

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.