Thursday, February 12, 2009

I'm terribly confused

AARGH! My head is spinning! I can't sort it all out!!!
OK, enough panic...  One of my nephews is getting married the end of March and we are all trying to work out travel and hotel plans for the wedding.  He is getting married in Champaign, IL, about 6 hours from here.  My brother, the world traveler and proud papa, booked 6 hotel rooms way back last August to get a really good rate.  He and his family are using 3 rooms which leaves 3 rooms available.  My parents will be in one and we are trying to figure out the most economical way to share out the remaining rooms.  There are 2 queen beds in each, I think V and I and the boys will get one room and one of my sisters, her husband and 2 children in another.  Here's the catch.  This means we don't have room for J14 unless she bunks with my parents (no offense intended, but my parents snore like a herd of chainsaws!).  We had planned for her to sleep in a room with her female cousins.  We thought we had it all worked out then found that both nieces' fiances are coming along as well as the nephew we didn't think would show.  Now we have 17 people and 3 rooms.  NOT going to work!!  I can't get anyone to make definite statements and I've been getting confusing messages from my Mom who seems to think that we can get more rooms at the discount rate.  I talked to my brother tonight- that isn't possible.  And of course, it is a pricy place so reserving rooms at full price will break our budget. But we would all like to be together at one hotel.
I'm getting ready to pull out my hair.
Is anyone else's family this disorganized???  You would think that in this day of instantaneous communication that we could figure this one out.  SIGH

7 comments:

  1. Yep, I think its the plague of all families. Many views, many insistent, and many positions on the "perfect" solution. Is there a way that the nephew and 2 fiances can share an additional room that they pay for themselves? I guess it sounds a bit mean, but if they weren't planning to come in the first place, it seems a bit off for them to take advantage of the pre-booked rooms. If they split the cost 3 ways, it seems more do-able. Then J14 would be able to go with her female cousins as planned?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there any way that you could get a roll-away bed in your room for her? I went on a moms weekend once, with all the neighborhood women, and we crammed roll-aways every which way to be able to afford the room rent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just bring along a sleeping bag. We've done that lots of times w/our family of 6 (and you know, you can't share a bed with your brother!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds VERY familiar! Why not call the hotel and see if they could do a roll away bed for in your room - or a couple sleeping bags on the floor? Or maybe everyone could chip in for the cost of another room....

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad it's not just my family. I was beginning to think we were organizationally challenged! I do think we finally got it sorted out in another round of emails today. We did end up getting several extra rooms but everyone has a bed to sleep in. We will most likely split the cost of the rooms since they are all of different prices and some have members of 3 different families in them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahha! so I do have a place to bunk for the night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of those brain-twisting highschool maths questions - if two trains left at x hr and were travelling at y speed and were carrying z passengers and it was snowing.......

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.