Friday, February 6, 2009

OK, I'm a hypocrite

Wow, what a busy day.  I got almost everything on my list accomplished.  I didn't manage poop patrol. It warmed up faster than I expected and by the time I made it outside it had thawed too much.  So I'll try again tomorrow morning when it's colder.  
I got three loads of laundry washed and hung on the lines in the basement, tried a recipe for granola bars, had some quality time with my sweetie, had a discussion about finances, made enchilada casserole for dinner, and went shopping.  
That's where I feel like a hypocrite.  Essentially right after having a discussion about finances and the need to control spending, I went out and spent money.  Yeah, it wasn't that much.  A few groceries (and more rum!), a pair of pants for work and a pair of jeans from the thrift store for $4 each and some new socks (my old socks were many years old and have reached the end of their lives- they're not even darnable anymore.  I had 3 catastrophic failures this week!).  But  I also got this:
Sorry for the bad photography
The thrift store we went to is run by the local Mennonite community and they a section of fair trade and other items from the MCC.  I succumbed to my desire for 'stuff' and got another cookbook.  It is one that has been on my list since I learned of it.  I have 2 other cookbooks by the MCC.  I already have the More With Less Cookbook and Extending the Table.  This is their most recent one: Simply in Season.  It is a celebration of local, seasonal food.  They have the recipes divided up by season.  While I feel a bit guilty, this is also something that I will use as we depend more on our own food and try to eat more seasonally.  But then, to make me feel better, we got a credit card bill today.  It was for less than $11...  OK.  We'll be fine.
In more humorous news:  The dog enjoyed having both V and I home for the day and was quite relaxed:
Sleeping puppy
He sacked out on the couch this afternoon after making himself quite comfortable. For a dog that was skinny and in bad shape when we rescued him, he has come a long way.  
As have we all.

8 comments:

  1. That is the one I was telling you about when you posted about your favorite cookbooks. You will love it. I made the naan recipe from that cookbook today. It is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture of the pup. I have 2 rescued beagles and I adore them. They return the favor :)

    Another good cookbook for cooking in season that I'll never regret paying full price for is Potager.
    It goes through all the seasons of the kitchen garden. Recipes are great too. I'll keep my eye out for that one too though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephany- I've been on the lookout since both you and Joyce told me about it a while ago. I've liked what I've seen of it so far.
    Chtisty- I'll have to be on the lookout for that one as well. I LOVE cookbooks and have several shelves of them. I don't think I will ever have too many.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a hypocrite - we do have to buy certain things! It doesn't mean you went on a shopping spree for unnecessary items, right?

    The cookbook looks like a good investment, especially as it features local food methods. If you look at it in this way, it can give you more ways to *stick* to eating in season and thereby saving money as opposed to out of season expensive produce. Keeping variety in seasonal eating is something I am struggling with right now, particularly as the choices are limited in the winter (how many ways can potatoes be prepared night after night?) You know this will work, I know! You'll be fine :-)

    How did the granola bars turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do this kind of thing all the time! This month money is super tight due to various annual bills coming due along with high heating costs. So, that makes me feel "desperate", in a way. Which lead me to go to the 2ndhand store last night and get two books for .69 each. That was enough to make me happy, but how ridiculous that we're such consumers in this country! Especially since I talk against consumerism so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking the cookbook is a great investment too! Certainly relying more on local, seasonable foods in recent times has been a new experience for us "supermarket" generation. I would consider it an education expense!

    (I have the More for Less book found at a thrift store a couple of years ago. I'll have to keep my eyes open for this one!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a hypocrite at all - they are useful things that you do need, right? The cookbook looks good - I'll have to see if I can find one similar. Have a great day!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.