I normally do my IDC updates on Sundays but I was so tired last night I couldn't think straight and was in bed by 9:30. But here goes for the last week:
1. Plant something- No, but I did get new light fixtures and bulbs for grow lights, cleaned off the table in the sewing room and picked up more seed starting soil mix since I'm planning to start my broccoli next weekend.
2. Harvest something- a bit of lettuce but nothing more.
3. Preserve something- No.
4. Store something- picked up 2 extra bags of sugar since there was a decent sale at the store.
5. Manage reserves- Made more spiced apples for oatmeal from apple slices from the freezer.
6. Cook something new- Nope, this has been a fairly boring week in the food department, lots of old standbys.
7. Prep something- Not really.
8. Reduce waste- recycled, composted and used cloth bags at the store, as usual- nothing new on this front.
9. Learn a new skill- Nothing new this week.
10. Work on community food security- Made chili for a meal at our local homeless shelter.
11. Regenerate what is lost- Hmm- can't think of anything for this week. It's been a busy week and I've just tried to get through.
12. Behavior change- I've been working on not procrastinating. I did manage to get my student's mid-term evaluation done last week and got lots done this weekend.
While it's not really a category for IDC I thought I'd throw this out there since it directly relates- I did spend some time looking for land again this weekend. There is a place not far from town- actually only about a mile and a half from the garden that is available. 7 acres of land and a house- unfortunately the house is VERY odd looking (looks like a couple of trailers attached to a garage), is only 2 bedroom and the basement isn't finished. Of greater concern is the proximity of the river- with last year's flooding that is something we are definitely looking at. This property did not flood last year (a 500 year flood) so it should be good. I've been trying to talk V into at least going to look- What they're asking is about what we could probably get for our house. If we could live in weirdness for a few years we could build a house that has everything we want- including the fireplace in the kitchen that we could cook in (with bread oven). We'll see...