I've been giving some thought to our long term plans here. Last fall, we were actively looking for an acreage out of town so we could be more self sufficient. Those plans were instantly put on hold when V lost his job. With little or no job prospects out there, we have to be realistic that we will be relying only on my income. Now, don't get me wrong, I make a decent wage and we have always had our healthcare through me so we're doing well there. We don't have a mortgage so the only outstanding debt is the car payment. I have enough set aside that I could pay it off in one fell swoop but I was saving that money for our down payment on somewhere new. If worse come to worst, we can stay here, fairly financially secure. We still have access to our garden at Roger's house since we don't have much yard here. Things stay status quo and we don't get any closer (or farther) from our dream.
The other option is that we put this house on the market and hope it sells, then take that money and put it toward a new place. That would be ideal, if the timing worked out well. I would hate to have our house sell out from under us with nowhere to land. Conversely, I would hate to lock in on a new place just to have this house sit on the market for forever. We do live close enough to campus that I do think it would probably sell fairly quickly, or we could rent it if necessary, but that doesn't help the cash flow and I'm not sure we could swing a mortgage payment as well as all the other bills.
I guess, if things get really bad we could up stakes and move down with my parents and take over the family farm. But that is definitely a plan of total last resort.
I'm just musing over the possibilities. I definitely like the second scenario the best but it also concerns me the most. This whole economic mess really sucks right now. I'm feeling cranky and uneasy for some reason tonight. Tomorrow will be better... writing out some of the options helps me clarify. Any feedback is appreciated.