Saturday, June 20, 2009

Busy Saturday

I really dislike Saturday mornings. They feel so wasted, at least when we're trying to get the new house ready to move. V and J15 have Tae Kwon Do and Kum Do classes in the morning which essentially takes them out of commission for anything until about noon. I took advantage of the morning by doing my grocery shopping and organizing the latest 'pile' of boxes to move out. We're really doing well on getting things packed. At least I think so. My parents stopped by in the morning and my Dad asked (tongue in cheek at least) when we're starting to move. We've still got lots of furniture to move but we also have lots of empty cabinets and bookshelves.
This will eventually be V's study.
The children have their rooms packed and moved except for the beds, dressers and desks.
V and I also made a quick trip to one of the local home centers and picked up the things we need to finish the upstairs bath, except for the tile for the floor. We got new light fixtures and a vanity/medicine cabinet for the wall. There was only a mirror on the wall and I can't function without a place to put 'stuff' in the bathroom.
Then we got to work. I finished up some painting elsewhere in the house while V disconnected the existing lights/fan in the bath and took down the existing ceiling. What a job!
The upstairs bath- down to the studs and with no ceiling!
V- HOT and sweaty!
We still don't have the air conditioning unit re-connected to the house and it was humid and in the upper 80's today so it was tough working conditions. But behold:
A new bathroom ceiling!!!
Tomorrow we need to make a run to the other home center in town (they have the trim tile we need). Then we will work on framing in a space for the medicine chest and work on putting up the dry wall for the walls. The tile floor will be last and will definitely be easier to do when we finally have lights in the room again.
The garden looks better today. Things have managed to straighten themselves a bit. I did lose a few tomato branches but that's ok- they'll make more. I also spent time today cleaning up the place. With all the work being done there are boxes, packing materials, wiring bits and general messiness that was driving me nuts. So the cardboard all got stacked for recycling and generally straightened up.
So now I'm tired! and tomorrow will be another crazy-busy day.
But at least it's Solstice- the longest day of the year.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad your garden came back. I remember those darn storms in IL-everything would be flattened. I hate wind and sure don't miss it.

    The house is really moving along-won't be long now. Oh, I can imagine the celebration you're going to have once its all done.
    Have a great day, Judy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though it seems overwhelming, looking back at your blog posts really shows how much work and effort and reward you have in this house. And it really is going along well, even though it may be hard to see from the inside (if that makes sense).
    YEY for the new bathroom ceiling! I can't say enough how impressed I am that you are doing all this work on your own - I could never imagine having such skill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching you guys progress on the new house! We finished ours about 2 years ago, but the little things are never ending. We always said "never again!", but catch ourselves dreaming of our next remodel on our next house...I guess we secretly enjoy the chaos...yours is coming along great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor V, he looks like he's about had it, poor guy! Bathroom ceiling looks good! I would croak without air conditioning. It has been so hot and humid here. Even the dog won't stay out! Sounds like your making headway in the packing dept.
    It won't be long...another 2-3 weeks and it will all be a memory...(or not)...lol...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad your garden is coming back--what a relief!

    Happy Solstice and good luck on the new place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wishing you a blessed, sun-filled solstice :-)

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.