I still like Sharon's Independence Days Challenge because it helps me organize and see how much I have managed to get done, even with working full time.
1. Plant something- Transplanted a yellow cherry tomato seedling from our town back yard into the garden and planted cucumbers. V and I got the trellis built for the pole beans but I haven't gotten them in the ground yet. I have been battling the weeds and the weather. I have had several chances to get out and weed when there has been a break in the weather but it seems that everytime I go out it rains again shortly thereafter and replants half the weeds I hoed up. But at least the trellis is up.
2. Harvest something- Lettuce, chard, mustard greens, radishes and a few green onions. Yum, salad! I think my peas are a bust for the year thanks to overly friendly bunnies. (sigh)
3. Preserve something- no
4. Reduce waste- pulled more boxes out of the dumpster across the alley and picked up boxes from work. Packing has been on a hiatus since I'm out of boxes except for really little ones. I've got about a dozen more now and packed up three from my craft/sewing room this evening. My stuff from that room is about all packed. Now it's just V's guitars and sound equipment. Otherwise on this category, recycled, composted and used cloth bags as usual.
5. Prep and storage- Hmmm, I don't think so. I haven't been storing much of anything recently. Still working on prepping the house. It's taking SO much longer than we had hoped to get things done out there. We're trying to fill in the gaps in the epoxy coating on the floor (they did the floor coating after they had built walls and installed equipment so there are now bare spaces) and it seems that it is taking forever. But once that is done we can start putting up the insulation and drywall in the basement. We did choose a light for the dining room this evening. I found it strange that there was no overhead light in there and we wanted one. I guess that's kind of prep.
6. Build community food systems- I talked to one of the RNs today about canning. She would like to learn and I told her I would give her some help when her garden starts producing. She also moved last fall and has her first garden.
7. Eat the food- I think all meals except Wednesday are planned out of stores this week. I'm still debating on what I want to do on Wednesday, have V cook or go out. Hmmm... too many choices.
Ok, I guess all in all not too bad of a week. I REALLY want the weather to cooperate with my schedule so I can get my beans and sweet corn planted before it's too late. Maybe I'll see if I can divert J15 from what V has planned for her tomorrow to weed a bit for me. It's so frustrating to know that they're all out at the house working while I'm stuck at work. Normally I love my job. It's just interfering with my life right now.