Friday, April 20, 2012

Independence Days 2012- week 11

I'm not sure if I've picked up a touch of whatever V has had, if I've got something entirely different or if I'm just exhausted but I woke up this morning- after 7.5 hours of sleep- feeling like I hadn't slept at all.  I've been dragging and achy with one of those 'behind the eyes' headache all day.  Work was brutally busy again today and once again, I ended up staying late. But now I'm off for three days so hopefully I can catch up on some rest... or not, knowing me....  I do plan to sleep in tomorrow morning.
It's Friday and you know what that means.  It's time for my Independence Days Update.
Plant something- I started some dill seeds.  That's about it.  It has been much too wet to work in the garden.  Counting the half inch of rain we got today we've had 4.3 inches of rain this week so things are pretty squishy out there.  I desperately need to repot my little tomato seedlings so that is on my short list for the weekend.
Harvest something- walking onions, chives, a little oregano and some spinach!!  Not much yet but, hey, it's April in Iowa.  We also got 44 eggs this week.
Preserve something- nope.  But I think tomorrow will be pasta making day.
Waste not- just the usual.  Nothing exciting here.
Want not- Hmm.... I can't really think of anything.  There haven't been any great sales at the store to stock up on anything.  I guess since this is the 'prepping' category, we had a good 'dry run' of bugging in on Saturday night when we had those intense storms go through. Everyone was calm and orderly heading to the basement.  Even unplugging electronics went fairly smoothly, although the boys need to get better at unplugging their computers faster.
Eat the food- Eggs. I really need to find some new egg-heavy recipes.  I did whip up some fresh pasta the other night for dinner.  From idea to plate in an hour.  Not too bad.  We had our little bit of spinach in salads.
Build community- nothing this week.  I didn't even sell any eggs at work.  But tomorrow is the last of the winter markets.
Skill up- not much new here, either.

This has been a bizarre week.  At least it seems like it.  It has been both really long and really short at the same time, if that makes any sense at all.  I know I was really busy but I can't quite recall at what...  I guess I should read my own blog, LOL!  

Now, since it's Friday night, I may just go have a little drink and fall asleep while watching a movie.

Oh, and if you're curious.. HERE is the link to the 'perfect' fabric I ordered for J17's quilt.

4 comments:

  1. If we have a lot of eggs that need to be used up, I have two egg heavy recipes that never fail to get them used up; hard boiled eggs and deviled eggs. For some reason just have a bowl or plate of those in the refrigerator and they disappear before I know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention deviled eggs! I've got a pot of eggs cooking right now!! I mentioned it to my children and they all piped up "Yes, Please!!" rather quickly.

      Delete
  2. My potato salad recipe is heavy on eggs: 3 lbs. of taters to 9 hard boiled eggs. I agree with Ed on the deviled eggs. I don't make them as often as I should because when I do, they always bring rave reviews.

    You know what I thought first off when I looked at the fabric for your daughter's quilt? (I mean besides that I liked it.) Wow, great color to not show the dirt! It's gonna get lots of loving wear from her in the next few years and who wants a quilt you have to lug to the laundromat and wash every week? (Just my practical eye, I guess. ;o])

    Try to take care of yourself this weekend. Can't have you down and out this beginning of the garden time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make a mean macaroni salad that has eggs in it as well so maybe that is also on the menu for the weekend.
      And I never thought of the fabric being a good color to hide dirt but you are absolutely right. What a bonus.
      And as for me- I slept in until 930 am!! Unheard of for me since I'm usually awake by 630 or so even on weekends. That tells me I must have really needed it. I do feel much more myself today. Now if it just doesn't rain....

      Delete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.