Monday, October 8, 2012

Weekend Photos

Yesterday was busy and productive- just not necessarily for me, LOL!  V really wanted to go to a train show in a town about 40 minutes south of here.  I agreed to go along... IF we then went the rest of the way to my parents to help them move furniture.  They got a new TV stand and were wanting help to move the TV and to help them carry out the old hide-a-bed from the den.  So, we got all that done. I snapped a few photos along the way.
Below is a series of photos of a treasured family heirloom.
 This is the original trunk that was used when Dad's ancestors immigrated to this country, handed down for generations.
 It's kin of hard to see (actually easier to see in the top photo) but there are grooves in the wood where the ropes cut into the wood when it was lashed down for transport.  And check out those hand painted flowers.
 And the original rope handles.
Such a family treasure!
Oh the way home, I snapped a few scenery photos.
A view down the Skunk River.  There was no other traffic so V could slow down for a better photo.  You can see how low the water is.  You could probably wade across and not get too wet.
All in all, a lovely day.  And V did get an engine and 2 observation cars at the train show.  Amazing how he conveniently 'forgot' his checkbook while I had mine.  Hmmm...

4 comments:

  1. the trunk is amazing! What an incredible piece of history to have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fantastic?! I grew up with it but the older I've gotten the more I appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful trunk!! That is soooo nice!! I'd love to steal it when you weren't lookin'!! ...debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would have to fight off not only me but my entire family!

      Delete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.