Monday, October 17, 2011

Caught unprepared

I was unprepared for frost last night. I knew it was forecast to get into the upper 30's last night but I woke to 34*F!  I hadn't covered anything in the garden.  I knew it was supposed to get into the mid 30's tonight and right around freezing later this week.  I had planned to pick all the tomatoes this evening- which I did- but not until it was almost too late.  At least it was only a light frost that just hit the tips of the plants.  Even so, there were some peppers that were hit by frost that I didn't bother to pick.
Almost every horizontal surface in the kitchen is covered with tomatoes.  I still left quite a few little tomatoes on there, picking the biggest ones.  The Polish Linguisa paste tomatoes outdid themselves this year:
Isn't that HUGE!!  I do hope enough ripen at one time to make some more sauce.
I've also got two pails of peppers that I really need to process.  These I'll probably just split and freeze for stuffing.  I'm going to have to rethink growing cayenne peppers next year.  I always grow one plant and they produce well but I really don't use that many of them.  I don't know, I'll have to think about it.
Now, it will be time to really clean out the garden and start planning for next year....

7 comments:

  1. I grow lots of cayenne for a chili relish and need a few plants to get enough. What I don't use, I dry and make a wreath with, by wiring them on, not gluing. I don't need to make red pepper flakes right now but when I run out, I will remove the stems of the dried chilis and grind them all. The flakes last forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tomato is completely amazing! I will have to put that on my list for next year. I tend to get caught off-guard by the weather, even though I know it's coming. Looks like you are going to be busy this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure have a lot of maters to put up in the next few days. I'll take some. Have me some fried green tomatoes!! We haven't frosted yet, but it might by weeks end...debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda- my problem is that my cayennes are usually prolific and I've got lots already dried and stored. So, maybe just a break from growing them while I catch up!
    Susan- I've grown these for a couple of years now and have been really pleased with them. The year I got hit with late blight they were the most resistant to it and actually survived with no intervention. They're not all as big as that one but they are tasty and meaty- one of my favorites, once I got over the pointy shape!
    Debbie- Mmm... fried green tomatoes. YUM!!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I was just messing around hitting 'next blog' to see what I got. I enjoyed reading all of your posts that were on the same page.
    Blessings,
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome Mama Bear. Glad you stopped in.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's like you left the door open during a snowstorm and the tomatoes just "drifted" in LOL! Have fun dealing with all those :)

    ReplyDelete

Glad you stopped in. I would love to hear from you.